Data Platform Architect
Technology – Engineering
At Bright Health, we brought together the brightest minds from the health care industry and consumer technology and together we created Bright Health: a new, brighter approach to healthcare, built for individuals. Our plans are easy to manage, personalized and more affordable, giving people the quality care they deserve. Through our exclusive care partnerships with leading health systems in local communities we are reshaping how people and physicians achieve better health together.
Bright Health is tripling its footprint in 2019 to offer a variety of health insurance plans to more individuals. Bright Health operates health insurance offerings across Individual and Family Plan segments and the Medicare Advantage space in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, New York and Tennessee.
We’re Making Healthcare Right. Together.
At Bright Health we are taking a new approach to health care, by delivering health insurance in partnership with our Care Partner Health Systems. To support our rapid growth, we are seeking a Data Platform Architect to evaluate our current data architecture and design highly scalable data solutions to effectively address our future growth.
As Data Platform Architect at Bright you will be responsible for architectural execution and key decision making for the Bright Health data platform. The overarching objective of the platform is to make all data at Bright consistent, compliant and available at high velocity to all functional areas within the company and to our Care Partners outside the company. In partnership with the CTO you will be accountable for making sure that the design of our cloud-based data platform insures that it is a key driver of value for the company, our members and Care Partners.
Bright has grown rapidly both in terms of employees (0 to 200 plus employees since 2016) and the number of Care Partner Health Systems with which we partner (six in 2019.) We will continue to add partnerships, vendors, and others to our data ecosystems as we rapidly expand across the United States. As a result – our environment is rich, complex and fast moving. Making sure that out data platform keeps pace and accelerates our progress is critical to our success.
You will work within the overall technology strategy to refine and expand our data architecture and be responsible for designing and delivering the architecture and approach for the overall engineering team to execute in collaboration with you. This position reports to the CTO.
- Ship high quality software that drives the Bright Health business forward
- Drive and define an overarching data architecture vision and strategy to maximize the optimization of our enterprise data asset
- Build and communicate conceptual, logical and physical data models
- Map data sources, document interfaces and data movement
- Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the organization
- Act as the primary advocate of data modelling methodologies and data processing best practices
- Mentor, coach and provide leadership to members of the team
- Select and assist in the implementation of the appropriate tools, software, applications, vendors and service providers to support company goals
- Research and make recommendations on integration and analytics products, services and architectural patterns
- Document the data architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture
- Align data platform strategy with CRM strategy
- Provide technical expertise and problem-solving capability to individual contributors
- Work closely with stakeholders on the data demand side (finance, analysts, marketing, sales and data scientists); elicit requirements from a wide range of different teams
- Work closely with stakeholders on the data supply side (domain experts on source systems of the data)
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work experience. Computer Science or similar preferred
- 15+ years of experience in a technical architect/leadership position. Extensive experience working in an Agile environment preferred
- At least 10 years of experience in hands-on data centric roles (DBA, Data Engineer, Data Architect)
- 8+ years of experience in one or more of the following: Enterprise Data Warehouse, Data Lake and Big Data, Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Strong SQL Skills
- Expert level familiarity and experience with modern data platforms, including Microsoft SQL Server and its Integration Services, BI components and other aspects
- Experience in columnar relational data stores and NoSQL technologies
- Able to move between varying levels of abstraction from business strategy to detailed implementation
- Experience with modern data pipelines and managing resulting data stores using managed cloud services
- Experience with architecture, design, and operation of ETL platforms in integration intensive environments with large numbers of highly varied internal and external data sources
- Experience with manage cloud services-based data capabilities (e.g. Azure Data Factory, SQL Azure, AWS Glue, etc.)
- Experience with CRM platforms (Dynamics, Salesforce, etc.)
- Expertise in data modelling and schema design for OLTP, data warehousing and other analytic environments
- Experience and understanding of how to work with data in highly regulated environments
- Experience with data governance
- Travel up to 20% may be required
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Is solution oriented and works on generating input from multiple constituents and driving the team to a solution.
- Is able to work with different personality types and teammates to overcome differences in opinion and thought to achieve common company goals.
- Not afraid to ask questions or take risks
- Seeks to understand how they can drive the business forward and how the bigger picture works.
We've won some fun awards like: Great Places to Work, Modern Healthcare, Forbes, etc. But more than anything, we're a group of people who are really dedicated to our mission in healthcare. Come join our growing team!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of Bright Health, our consumers, and the communities we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.