Intern, Computational Biology
South San Francisco, CA /
Plants have played a vital role in human health for thousands of years, and we have yet to realize the full potential. Brightseed is a data company with the technology to do just that. We identify the hidden compounds in plants that can impact health and we bring these bioactives to market across industries at a rate that was previously impossible.
You have an interest in applying modern computational techniques to explore the chemical diversity encoded in organismal genomes and how that diversity can be harnessed for the betterment of human health. At Brightseed, you will be responsible for deploying computational tools and algorithms to elucidate the natural products space found in major domains of life including plants, fungi, and microbes. As part of your work, you will help build-out our internal computational toolkit to perform data analysis and visualizations in collaboration with our interdisciplinary team. Ultimately, your work will result in computational pipelines as a crucial part of our Forager® platform to make novel discoveries. This role will report to the Director, Computation and is based in South San Francisco.
IN PARTICULAR, YOU WILL:
- Contribute to scientific investigations by applying computational approaches to in-house biological data, resulting in novel natural product discoveries that help people live healthier lives.
- Design, build, and operate data pipelines that accelerate core scientific analyses, such as statistical analysis, model-based predictions, and visualizations
- Capture and manage critical data sets. Create databases and necessary data analysis capabilities.
- Collaborate with a high-performing team to build and maintain computation infrastructure, including apps, pipelines, servers, databases, and/or cloud services.
- Capture and share institutional knowledge by maintaining a clear codebase and documentation.
- BS or MS in Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry, Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics, Biostatistics, Biophysics, Chemistry, Computer Science, or related discipline
- Excellent data science skills with hands on data wrangling and visualization expertise
- Capable of planning and delivering results within a predefined project timeline
- Experience in statistics and machine learning applications is highly desirable
- Strong collaborative and oral and written communication skills
Additional experience with one or more of the following is a plus:
- Molecular biology
- Plant biology
- Natural product chemistry
- HPC and/or Cloud computing
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.