Director of Supply Chain
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina /
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence (A.I.) that illuminates nature to restore human health. Brightseed’s proprietary A.I., Forager®, accelerates bioactive discovery, biological validation and ingredient formulation from years to months, rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Through Forager® and clinical evaluation, Brightseed partners with organizations across the consumer health continuum to offer insight into the world of bioactives and health solutions. Visit www.brightseedbio.com to learn more.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes or curcumin in turmeric, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, aspirin and Metformin, the latter a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted – often referred to as the “dark matter” of nutrition. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director of Supply Chain is responsible for the development and implementation of the Company’s supply chain strategy for the Company’s food, beverage, and dietary supplement business. This role will develop, manage, monitor, and coordinate the supply, warehouse, and distribution programs necessary to fulfill product requirements, mitigate supply chain related risks, and prioritize cost reduction.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Manage all aspects of the commercial operations supply chain to support the development and production of plant based ingredients.
- Support manufacturing at contract manufacturers, identify and maintain strategic 3rd party warehouse and freight partners, manage inventory and production scheduling.
- Coordinate with other business units to ensure contractual, customer setup, and compliance obligations are executed.
- Identify, develop, and implement Supply Chain Standard Operating Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining and reporting Supply Chain related costs and proactively improving material costs.
- Negotiate purchasing, warehouse, and freight contracts.
- Develop and maintain Supply Chain related OKRs (Objectives & Key Results) and support Operations goals and objectives.
- Assist with developing an internal Operations team as the Company’s needs evolve including the development of additional skill sets and personnel.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEED
- 10+ years of supply chain management experience within the food, beverage, nutraceutical, and/or supplement industry.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field.
- Substantial technical background evidenced by professional experience.
- Well networked with suppliers, freight companies, and warehouses.
- International sourcing and fulfillment experience (imports & exports).
- Manufacturing experience is preferred.
- Experienced working with ERP systems (i.e. Netsuite).
- Management experience with proven ability to build organizational capabilities and develop team members.
- Ability to successfully execute tactical and strategic initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with multiple levels and functions.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of food safety and quality practices relevant to the overall supply chain.
THE BENEFITS YOU'LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.