Scientist, Translational and Clinical Research
South San Francisco, California /
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence (A.I.) that illuminates nature to restore human health. Brightseed’s proprietary A.I., Forager®, accelerates bioactive discovery, biological validation and ingredient formulation from years to months, rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Through Forager® and clinical evaluation, Brightseed partners with organizations across the consumer health continuum to offer insight into the world of bioactives and health solutions. Visit www.brightseedbio.com to learn more.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes or curcumin in turmeric, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, aspirin and Metformin, the latter a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted – often referred to as the “dark matter” of nutrition. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You are a trained research scientist with direct experience investigating the molecular basis for the impact of diet on health. You are also an experienced researcher who knows how to generate scientific results and derive insights that guide the development of innovative dietary solutions for human health. In your role you will help drive research with external partners as well as develop our internal innovation pipeline connecting phytonutrients to health. Specifically, serving as an internal subject matter expert for dietary interventions related to various health benefits such as the gut microbiome, metabolic health, etc.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Serve as an in-house expert in designing, executing and interpreting human clinical studies linking mechanism(s) action to clinical endpoints. Additionally, connecting this clinical data to our commercial pipeline is critically important.
- Extend, and deepen Brightseed’s data coverage across a range of human health conditions, acting as an internal expert on current and emerging areas of nutrition and health.
- Review, compile, critically analyze and organize molecular/biological data related to human health from primary biomedical data sources, including academic literature, clinical trial databases, and related scientific knowledge bases.
- Collaborate on both internal projects and external partnerships in discovery efforts by evaluating health opportunities, assessing their potential for dietary intervention by researching the underlying biology of prospective molecular targets, as well as related biological or clinical data.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEED
- PhD and 1+ year of postdoc/industry experience in Biology, Nutrition Science, Biomedical Sciences, Nutritional Biochemistry, Molecular Nutrition, Physiology or a human biology-related field; or
- Master’s with 3+ years of industry experience
- Deep knowledge of the molecular biology and biochemistry underlying the effects of diet on human health.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in nutritional or therapeutic discovery and/or translation is highly desirable
- Direct experience planning and executing human clinical studies in conjunction with CROs is required.
- Experience compiling, reviewing and interpreting molecular and biomedical data is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated record of generating original scientific insights related to nutrition and health and publishing articles in peer-review publications.
- Experience supporting successful commercial launches of nutrition or health-related products is a plus.
- Self-starting, entrepreneurial orientation a must.
- Highly collaborative and able to build strong working relationships across multiple cross-functional teams.
- Strong ability to communicate scientific data across diverse teams including non-scientific colleagues.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at time
- The salary range for this position is $126,000 - $141,200.
- Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant qualifications and work experience, academic credentials, job related skills, employment location and other factors.
- More senior candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
THE BENEFITS YOU'LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.