2023 Spring/Summer Internship (All Majors)
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina /
Temporary (Full-Time Internship)
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence that illuminates nature to restore human health. Through Forager® A.I. and clinical evaluation, Brightseed helps companies gain the deepest insight into bioactives and their innovation potential. Forager A.I. accelerates bioactive discovery and biological validation from years to months – and is rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Brightseed partners with companies across the consumer health continuum to provide novel insights and science-backed health solutions.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, Aspirin and Metformin, a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes, derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
We will be offering 2023 summer internships across multiple job families to all majors. We are open to hosting interns in both of our locations as well as remote. Location will be dependent upon the unique role and opportunity.
The dates and work schedules are flexible and negotiable to accommodate a student's needs. Applicants should, however, be able to work full time or part time during the summer months, with a minimum commitment of 25 hours a week. This role will be paid on an hourly basis consistent with market data by location. The internship may have the option to extend beyond the 3-month period based on candidate availability and performance.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Brightseed is offering a 2 to 3 month internship program to students seeking to gain experience in the biotech startup culture. We are looking for self-motivated individuals with a strong passion for how nature can improve our overall health and wellness. We have designed our program to introduce interns to different aspects of our culture and provide real world experiences working and assisting in all facets of operations. You will be given the opportunity to present to a broader team upon completion of the program. This experience will broaden your perspective on how various teams impact growth and innovation in a fast growing start-up. We are a cross functional collaborative team, looking for bright curious minds to join us on our journey!
We are open to undergrad and graduate students!
EXAMPLE PROJECTS - BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Enhance our current service offerings in pharma, personal care, or CPG through customer discovery and market research
- Work with commercial and product leads to build our value proposition in new industries, refining pricing and valuation models based on customer needs and competitor intelligence
EXAMPLE PROJECTS - DIGITAL MARKETING
- Create go-to-market plan for new product offerings
- Work with head of marketing to design content strategy
EXAMPLE PROJECTS - PRODUCT STRATEGY
- Develop strategic framework for internal product discoveries and programs
- Enhance commercial roadmap to align with product and tech roadmaps
EXAMPLE PROJECTS - R&D
- Contribute to scientific investigations by applying computational approaches to in-house biological data, resulting in novel natural product discoveries that help people live healthier lives.
- Collaborate with a high-performing team to build and maintain computation infrastructure, including apps, pipelines, servers, databases, and/or cloud services.
- All majors are welcome!
- We have had past interns in Computational Biology, Business Development, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, and more!
- Your year of graduation is 2023 or later.
- Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States without the need for current or future employer-sponsored work authorization.
- Capable of planning and delivering results within a predefined project timeline.
THE BENEFITS YOU’LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.