Director of Product Design
Remote (US Only) /
Product – Design /
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $100 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who you are
Brightwheel is seeking an innovative, hands-on Director of Product Design to join us and own our full design portfolio across iOS, Android, and web. You'll work directly with product managers, engineers, and company leadership to build beautiful products for teachers and families across the globe. You will play a key role in shaping our design system, principles, and processes, and you will lead a team of high-performing designers to craft solutions that deliver meaningful value.
What you'll do
- Design new product functionality end-to-end, from wireframes to prototypes to high-fidelity mocks, that facilitate internal collaboration and feedback, user testing and validation, and efficient development.
- Develop deep empathy for our users & their needs that informs all aspects of your work and enables you to create simple, beautiful solutions across web and mobile platforms.
- Partner with product management and engineering to design and build new features and user flows with a strong focus on speed and results.
- Partner with the marketing team to ensure our product design reflects and reinforces the brightwheel brand.
- Lead design strategy and collaborate on a design vision that enables multiple teams to build innovative experiences while maintaining a unified and consistent tone and feel.
- Serve as a leader and culture-bearer on the design team, nurturing and growing design talent through coaching and training.
- Iterate on & refine design processes to support a growing design team in collaborating closely with others, seeking and incorporating feedback, and contributing to world-class product development.
- Sweat the details while keeping an eye on the big picture.
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities:
- 8+ years of experience leading UX and UI product design work end-to-end
- Experience managing a high-performing team of designers
- Excellent visual design skills with an eye for detail
- Excitement for rolling up your sleeves and doing all aspects of product design
- Innate curiosity and a craving for feedback to improve designs
- Experience with iOS, Android, and WebExperience creating and working with design systems
- An obsession for creating simple and intuitive user flows
- A collaborative approach to working with engineering and product teams
- An ability to lead with passion, integrity, and transparency
- A passion for improving the world through education
Brightwheel is committed to internal pay equity and offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, equity, and benefits. Our benefits package includes premium medical, dental, and vision benefits, generous paid parental leave, a flexible paid time off policy, a monthly wellness and productivity stipend, and a Learning & Development stipend.
For cash compensation, brightwheel sets standard ranges for all roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar-stage growth companies.
In alignment with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Colorado is targeted at $191,000-$239,000. In alignment with the New York State Senate Bill S9427A and California State Senate Bill No. 1162, the annual cash compensation for this role in California and New York City is targeted at $203,000-$265,000. In alignment with Washington’s Equal Pay and Opportunities Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Washington is targeted at $191,000-$265,000.
Multiple factors, including geographic location, candidate experience, and expertise, determine final offer amounts. If you are applying from a different location and have questions about the compensation band for your region, please ask your recruiter.
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.