Senior Android Engineer
Austin, San Francisco, Denver, or Remote (US only) /
Engineering – Engineering /
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s mission is to transform early education for every teacher, child, and parent — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $100 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a distributed team, with offices in San Francisco, Denver, and Austin along with fully remote team members. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who You Are
Brightwheel is seeking a senior Android Engineer who is well-rounded technically and passionate about the positive impact their code can make in people's lives. Brightwheel engineers work closely with product and design, as well as with other areas of the business to deliver a platform that meets our teachers’ and parents’ biggest needs. We are a lean, fast-moving team and value individuals who can optimize for being impactful while considering both technical and business drivers.
If Android development is where you excel and you enjoy being involved in product decisions, brightwheel's mobile team may be for you.
Candidates with varying backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with product and design teams to define, scope and implement new features or product lines.
- Be a steward of quality, scalability, security, and performance. You'll work with other engineers to ensure that we have a solid foundation that serves our customers, and enables the team to continue building a great product.
- Design and architect new software systems, or introduce new technologies, as appropriate to support brightwheel’s growth.
- Share knowledge and expertise across the engineering team.
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities:
- 3+ years of professional android development experience, preferably in dynamic companies/teams.
- Deep technical knowledge of the Android SDK and its APIs.
- Proficiency in Java and Kotlin.
- Comfortable designing and/or consuming REST APIs.
- Understanding of Android UI and navigation patterns.
- Experience with ReactiveX.
- Strong team player with excellent communication skills and a sense of ownership + drive.
- A passion for improving the world through education.
Brightwheel is proud to celebrate diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.