Frontend Engineer (React/Mobile/Web)
New York City /
Hi, we're Brigit! A financial health app for the everyday American. By using cash flow data to automate finances, not only do we help people today, but also empower them to start saving for tomorrow. Brigit analyzes data from billions of individual bank transactions and formulates a deep understanding of each member’s cash-flow mismatches and spending habits. Using that data, we're able to send no-fee predictive advances and help millions of Americans avoid late payment fees, predatory overdraft fees, and interest rates. Our initial product is focused on disrupting the predatory $44 Billion payday loan and overdraft market and our future products will continue to empower and improve the lives of over 100M underserved Americans.
Brigit is looking for a Frontend Engineer to help us scale our next-gen consumer finance platform. Our product has tremendous traction helping 1million+ low income Americans make ends meet. We’ve built beautifully designed, user-centric mobile and web clients with React (including React Native) and TypeScript, but we need help in making them even more user friendly & extensible.
As we approach our next phase of growth, we're scoping out new products and features helping our users save more and improve their credit options - in short, better equipping them along their financial journey. You'll have the opportunity to leverage the platform of our current frontend & backend base to build these new products from the ground up for millions of users. Financial products often come with difficult user challenges, and if you're excited by the idea of reconstructing difficult concepts into easy-to-use interfaces and products for end-users, then this is the right role for you.
Our engineering team has two main goals:
1) Ship Features supporting numerous external and internal applications. The next generation of our product may look nothing like what it does today - and we welcome that! The degree to which we design and create new features (and even new products) for users, architect our frontend-backend communications, implement design-to-development processes will make or break our success.
2) Scalability & Maintainability of our user-facing applications. Growing from 100k users to 10 million presents unique technical challenges. Because we’re growing so quickly, the efficiency and reliability of both our customer facing and internal tools needs to improve. In addition to creating new features, we have many tasks to tackle including the creation and upkeep of components & libraries, REST API design, testing & QA processes, and CI/CD enhancements.
The engineering team is small and nimble; you'll get an extraordinary amount of autonomy and ownership. More importantly, you’ll have a large say in the direction of the company -- both in terms of our technology and our product. One of our greatest strengths is the speed with which we can move. If you want to propose a new way of doing things, we are all ears. If you have an idea for a new feature, we'll be open to it. A new design paradigm? Bring it on.
At Brigit you'll find engineering best practices inspired by our experiences at Palantir, Amazon, Two Sigma, a mature CI/CD process, an easy-to-use local/staging/production development environment, and teammates willing to fill in the gaps. We automate manual things so we can focus on thinking and building something that truly helps people.
What You Have
- Experience using HTML & CSS to create beautiful interfaces
- Up-to-date grasp of the constantly evolving JS language standards, ES6 and beyond
- Experience consuming (and spec'ing requirements for) REST APIs
- TypeScript or other compile-to-JS language is a plus; Fullstack/Backend experience (esp. in Java) is a plus; quantitative skills, knowledge or experience in Finance is a plus
- You are a self-starter, self-motivated, and able to work independently and manage multiple projects under minimal supervision
- Experience building UI/UX for new features from end-to-end
- The ability to rebuild an internal dashboard from scratch which greatly enhances our internal customer success team’s efficiency
What You'll Be Doing
- Implementing interaction and motion design for more delightful user experiences
- Unifying our component and styling libraries to be shared across our mobile and web clients
- Automating visual testing & visual regression detection processes
- Creating new mobile & web clients for upcoming products
- Work with the Product & Design teams to spec, build, and ship a new Financial Health Score feature
- A/B testing and optimizing features that boost our business’ bottom line
- Scale out our mobile/web client distribution to over 2 million users
We're backed by leading VC's, including DCM, Canaan Partners, NYCA, and a number of the world's most influential social impact investors. If autonomy, ownership, and having meaningful input in the company you work for is important to you, come join our growing team!
Our Benefits & Team
-Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
-Day 1 benefit coverage for health, dental, and vision
-Offer competitive paid parental leave policy
-Dog friendly office
-Employee wellness initiatives
At Brigit, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.