San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Full-time / Part-time contract
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
As an Illustrator, you’ll take interesting mathematical and scientific concepts and translate them into engaging and educational illustrations in our PIX style. Your work will be featured prominently in our web and mobile products, social media, and marketing campaigns, to deliver fun and interactive learning experiences to millions of learners.
This is a highly cross-functional and collaborative role. As a member of our Art + Design team, you’ll be working with other talented artists, designers, animators, creative technologists, and subject matter experts in math and science to create custom artwork to engage and delight our users.
- Create a large range of 2D vector artwork from concept sketches to final illustrations in Brilliant’s illustration style.
- Be flexible and adapt to shifting timelines and goals as we work on maturing our production process. You are as comfortable with asset production as you are with generating ideas.
- Visualize environments, characters, objects, and color schemes to help establish a growing library of reusable artwork and templates in a componentized system.
- Communicate with other members of art, content, design, and marketing to ensure efficient and accurate implementation.
- Ensure illustrations meet both production deadlines and technical specifications.
- Actively test and iterate art assets based on feedback from stakeholders.
- Keep working files well-organized to facilitate collaborative workflow.
- Provide constructive and actionable feedback during Art reviews to help expand the Brilliant’s illustration system.
- Experience working in illustration, animation, or game-relevant fields.
- Extensive illustration portfolio that demonstrates an advanced understanding of form, value, perspective, composition, and shows a great sense of color.
- Experience illustrating under brand constraints.
- Strong ability to apply overarching visual concepts in illustration systems.
- Ideally has experience working with, or building, structured asset library frameworks and illustration development pipelines for production.
- Mastery of software tools including the following (or similar): Figma, Illustrator.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Paid parental leave
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.