Remote work / Telecommute /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 12 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
As an Illustrator, you will be responsible for translating interesting mathematical and scientific concepts into engaging and educational visual communication design in our PIX style. Your work will be featured prominently in our web and mobile products, social media, and marketing campaigns, to deliver fun and interactive learning experiences to millions of learners.
This is a highly cross-functional and collaborative role. As a member of our Art team, you will work with other talented artists, designers, animators, creative technologists, and subject matter experts in math and science to create custom artwork that engages and delights our users.
- Create a variety of 2D vector artwork, including concept sketches, final illustrations, and UI design mock-ups, in Brilliant's illustrative style.
- Be flexible and adaptable to shifting timelines and goals as we mature our production process. You should be as comfortable with asset production as with generating ideas while working with various stakeholders.
- Visualize environments, characters, objects, and color schemes to help establish a growing library of reusable artwork and templates in a componentized system.
- Communicate with members of the art, content, interactive, design, and marketing teams to ensure efficient and accurate implementation of visual assets.
- Make sure that illustrations meet production deadlines, creative visual directions, and technical specifications.
- Actively test and iterate visual assets based on feedback from stakeholders.
- Organize files to facilitate smooth collaboration and improve ways to work with stakeholders during and outside of production.
- Provide constructive and actionable feedback during team meetings to help expand Brilliant's illustration system and improve how we work.
- Actively participate in professional growth by developing new skills and finding new opportunities.
- Experience with illustration and UI/UX in game-related fields.
- Experience illustrating under brand constraints.
- An extensive illustration portfolio, preferably in vector, that demonstrates an advanced understanding of form, value, perspective, composition, and color.
- Strong ability to apply overarching visual concepts in illustration systems.
- Ideally, experience working with or building structured asset library frameworks and illustration development pipelines for production.
- Proficient in Adobe CC and Figma, and comfortable working with new digital technologies.
- Animation/motion design proficiency, especially with After Effects
$120,000 - $165,000 a year
We use a systematic compensation framework. Salary scales are set each year for each job vertical, based on market data and company budget. Independently, managers level folks on their team, and those levels are mapped formulaically to our compensation scales.
Additional, we always make First and Best Offers - there is no negotiation (for new hires nor our existing teammates). This ensures that people are paid based on their expected contribution, rather than their negotiation skills.
We do apply a location-based adjustment in less competitive markets, typically 5-10%. Feel free to ask us about your particular location!