San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 12 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
As a Creative Technologist (CT), you'll be responsible for building the interactive diagrams we use to create interaction-first courses in math, science, and computer science. You will combine your creative and technical expertise to take concept art, whiteboard sketches, and mathematical/scientific models, then translate them into visually polished and engaging interactive content.
Your work will feature prominently in our web and mobile products to deliver fun and interactive learning experiences to millions of learners. We strongly believe that interactive visualizations have the potential to change how people learn math and science.
A CT at Brilliant is a highly cross-functional, collaborative role that involves both art and code. As a member of the Content organization you’ll be working with other talented artists, animators, and subject matter experts in math, science, and computer science to help tell engaging stories. You’ll also collaborate with product managers and engineering teams to help improve the authoring tools and interactive frameworks you use. This position will report to our Senior Manager of Creative Technology, Jason.
- Work closely with technical experts and course producers to turn concept sketches and prototypes into production-ready interactive diagrams
- Become masterful at using our authoring engine and make smart design decisions, all with minimal guidance
- Write readable, idiomatic and reusable code in Elm (using our in-house frameworks, like Diagrammar) to enable the scaling of interactive visuals across Brilliant’s content
- Where appropriate, build and maintain a library of reusable, well-documented code packages, to accelerate production work for yourself, other CTs, and course producers
- Work with artists to integrate our art style — environments, characters, objects, and color schemes — into diagrams, to build a consistent visual world of content
- Consistently test and iterate interactive diagrams and code packages based on feedback
- Adaptable learner: Your ability to understand and apply technical concepts extends beyond specific coding languages, and you are excited to adopt our in-house tools to realize your creative vision.
- Strong Communicator: You are great at giving and receiving feedback, presenting ideas to the team, and keeping the team up to date on progress and timelines. We move fast, and constant open communication is key to success in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible: You can wear multiple hats and adapt to shifting timelines and goals as we work towards maturing our production process. You are also comfortable taking on both library creation and asset production responsibilities.
- Affinity for problem solving: You have a demonstrated ability and keen interest in tackling challenges out of your comfort zone. The majority of your work will be math- and science-focused, so enthusiasm for the material and general problem-solving aptitude will help you go far in making an impact.
- Ideally 2-3 years of professional working experience
- B.S. degree (or equivalent work experience) in design, games-related development, or a technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Graphics)
- Background or experience in interactive media, game development, data visualization, or animation with a strong sense of interaction design and understanding of visual design (e.g., form, value, perspective, composition)
- Experience in internal tool development, or working knowledge of Elm and other functional programming languages, would be ideal but not required
$125,000 - $180,000 a year
We use a systematic compensation framework. Salary scales are set each year for each job vertical, based on market data and company budget. Independently, managers level folks on their team, and those levels are mapped formulaically to our compensation scales.
Additional, we always make First and Best Offers - there is no negotiation (for new hires nor our existing teammates). This ensures that people are paid based on their expected contribution, rather than their negotiation skills.
We do apply a location-based adjustment in less competitive markets, typically 5-10%. Feel free to ask us about your particular location!
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Paid parental leave
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.