San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
As a Creative Technologist, you'll be responsible for building the tools we use to create interaction-first courses in math, science, and CS. You will combine your creative and technical expertise to take concept art, prototypes, and mathematical/scientific models and translate them into visually polished and engaging interactive content.
These will feature prominently in our web and mobile products to deliver fun and interactive learning experiences to millions of learners. We believe that interactive visualizations have the potential to change how people learn math and science.
This is a highly cross-functional, collaborative role. As a member of the content team you’ll be working with other talented artists, animators, and subject matter experts in math, science, and computer science to help tell engaging stories. This role will report to the Head of Art.
- Work closely with technical experts and course producers to turn concept sketches and prototypes into production-ready interactives
- Become masterful at using our authoring engine and make smart design decisions, all with minimal guidance.
- Develop readable, idiomatic and reusable code in Elm to enable the scaling of interactive visuals across Brilliant’s content
- Refactor and convert legacy art and animations into interactive experiences. We're actively working to replace much of our static content, so this type of work will gradually decrease.
- Use PIX environments, characters, objects, and color schemes to build a consistent visual world of content
- Actively test and iterate content and experiences based on feedback
- Adaptable learner: Your ability to understand and apply technical concepts extends beyond specific coding languages, and you are excited to adopt our in-house tools to realize your creative vision.
- Strong Communicator: You are great at giving and receiving feedback, presenting ideas to the team, and keeping the team up to date on progress and timelines. We move fast, and constant open communication is key to success in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible: You can wear multiple hats and adapt to shifting timelines and goals as we work towards maturing our production process. You are also comfortable taking on both library creation and asset production responsibilities.
- Affinity for problem solving: You have a demonstrated ability and keen interest in tackling challenges out of your comfort zone. The majority of your work will be math and science focused, so enthusiasm for the material and general problem solving aptitude will help you go far in making an impact.
- B.S. degree or equivalent experience in design, games-related or a technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Graphics).
- Background or experience in illustration or interactive media that demonstrates a strong understanding of form, value, perspective, and composition
- Experience in tool development or working knowledge of Elm and other functional programming languages would be ideal but not required