Remote work / Telecommute /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
Brilliant is seeking a creative professional with a strong interest in STEM and passion for storytelling to bring our content marketing and ad campaigns to life.
Our communication primarily focuses on telling a story or explaining a concept with delightful visuals and compelling copy. Much of your time will be spent brainstorming ways to engage people in learning on Brilliant, and you’ll collaborate with artists, animators, designers, and content experts to execute those ideas into a final creative.
This role will report to the Head of Art, and you will be joining a passionate and experienced team of illustrators, motion designers, and creative technologists who are working to make a meaningful impact in the world.
- Work closely with the Marketing team to brainstorm and decide on the key elements a video will address (e.g. audience, message, creative direction, length etc.)
- Translate a concept from storyboard to animatic to a polished creative, and tailor deliverables to specific marketing channels
- Make things people want to watch, that don’t look like advertising
- Generate ideas – play with lots of divergent creative possibilities before picking a direction
- Tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end in creatives that are typically anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes
- Adeptly shift registers between funny, serious, and beautiful, for different creatives
- Collaborate with artists, animators, designers, and context experts to bring your best ideas to fruition
- To give you an idea of some of what you’ll be doing, here are some sample creatives we’ve made. You may choose to use some of these as inspiration, or take us in a new direction.
- Unique animation perspective: You are excited to work with an illustration style that is outside of dominant industry trends and have a portfolio that demonstrates your flexibility and creative vision.
- Strong Communicator: You are great at giving and receiving feedback, presenting ideas to the team, and keeping the team up to date on progress and timelines. We move fast, and constant open communication is key to success in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible: You can wear multiple hats and adapt to shifting timelines and goals as we work towards maturing our production process.
- Organized: You are comfortable managing multiple work streams and thrive in a fast-paced, consumer-oriented environment.
- Affinity for problem solving: You have a demonstrated ability and keen interest in tackling challenges out of your comfort zone. A solid chunk of marketing animations are math and science focused, so enthusiasm for the material and general problem solving aptitude will help you go far in making an impact.
- Good-humored: You can set aside ego easily and collaborate closely with other creatives. There are a lot of hands in the creative pot and we love tweaking things, so a willingness to prioritize overarching project goals over one's own creative decisions is paramount to your success.
- 3+ years of professional motion design experience, ideally in a studio, agency, or internal marketing team setting
- Well-versed in all steps of the animation production process, including ideation, storyboarding, designing style frames, animating, and delivering on a set schedule
- Proficient with Adobe Suite (AE, AI, PS, Premiere etc), particularly Illustrator and After Effects. Bonus points if you can use expressions
- Ideally have some experience with Figma, C4D, or cel animation. These are nice to have, but not super necessary