Learning Experience Designer
San Francisco, CA
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
You will be responsible for solving interesting education problems with world-class teachers, engineers, and researchers. Your day to day will require working with small teams (2 - 3 people at a time) focusing on a particular course to explore, sketch, and prototype interactives for teaching topics in math, science, and CS. Once designed, you'll work with an Interactives Engineer to implement and ship the interactives. As your work is released, you'll get to see feedback immediately from play testers, collaborators, and real users – all in a matter of days or weeks.
- Working with course writers to develop prototypes that both fit the pedagogical needs of the course and test our hypotheses on the role of interactive technology in learning.
- Creating specifications and rough mockups of the interactives for an Interactive Engineer to work from.
- Developing best practices for interactives based on your experiences in design, implementation, and playtesting.
Who are you?
The basics: you've designed educational experiences including, but not limited to trainings, games, or curricula. You've thought deeply about the advantages and limitations of interactive technology in education. Additionally, you must be comfortable with some form of prototyping toolkit (like Framer, Processing.js, etc.). The role doesn't require an extensive software engineering experience, but it's important that you've created interactive experiences before.
Going further, you've had to teach yourself at least one difficult topic, and you viscerally understand the difficulty of working with existing texts or online resources.
Finally, you're an excellent communicator with both engineers and domain experts in unfamiliar areas – you're going to be helping to teach subjects that you sometimes don't understand, after all!
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.