Principal Software Engineer - Backend
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Engineering page.
We are a team of fun, motivated, and experienced product and engineering entrepreneurs who are working to make an actual and meaningful impact in the world. Our Backend Engineers are generalists, so not only do they work on the business logic of our main Python & Django codebase, but also on our data pipeline (Python), various internal tools, dashboards, and services (mostly Python, but increasingly Rust), and managing our infrastructure using Ansible. However, for this particular hire, we're open to people that want to be as general or as specialized as they prefer, therefore only the first two of the bullet points listed in the "Your Responsibilities" section are required.
- Implementing the backend for new features including design of models, business logic, and views, both by building RESTful APIs for our native apps to consume, as well as working closely with our Frontend Engineers on Django Templated HTML pages.
- Working with the rest of the Backend team as they rearchitect the business logic layer to better facilitate our Frontend migration to Vue.js, and relatedly, more easily share common business logic between our native APIs and our HTML Frontend.
- Helping manage our infrastructure: writing and maintaining Ansible configurations, spinning up new servers, migrating databases, resizing our Redshift cluster, mitigating DDoS attacks, and much more.
- Pitching in to maintain and improve our data pipeline, which is a collection of Python tasks that move, transform, and query data in Kinesis, S3, and Redshift.
- Build internal tooling to improve workflows across the entire company, from developer efficiency to ops.
Who are you?
You feel great joy when problem solving (or perhaps after successfully solving a problem). You're able to break a problem down into its component parts, understand it completely, and brainstorm with others on multiple solutions – weighing solutions against each other within the constraints of the system. You can effectively translate a solution from thought to clean, idiomatic code.
You've worked professionally for at least eight years as a Backend Engineer. You have used a myriad of programming paradigms, languages, and frameworks. You have architected and led the development of systems with significant complexity and scale, and have overcome novel technical challenges that you are proud to describe to us. You have worked across multiple layers of the stack, and are comfortable solving individual tricky problems at a very low level, as well as stepping back to understand the interactions between all of the moving parts. You put serious effort and thought into engineering team culture, mentorship of other engineers, and team leadership.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.