Lead Product Designer, Learning Experience
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 12 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Design page.
About the role
We’re seeking a seasoned product designer to own design for the learning experience of our web app and mobile apps – this is the core lesson experience, the layout engine that supports different modules for progressive discovery of math and science concepts, interactivity, branching paths, hints, and feedback.
Product design at Brilliant currently works across four product areas: growth, engagement, learning engines, and infrastructure. You’ll be a design lead in the learning engines product area, and you'll have opportunities to collaborate with teammates across all four product areas.
As the primary designer responsible for the learning experience, you'll be responsible for crafting experiences for how users progress through a lesson and how they develop and test their knowledge through interactive exercises. You’ll work through tricky interaction design problems that arise in our interactive exercises across different content use cases, screen sizes, and devices.
You’ll work with a diverse team of product folks, engineers, educators, writers, and creative technologists, and you’ll use data and user research to inform new ways to help learners reach their goals.
- Own the user experience across the learning experience, including the choreography of different modules users encounter as they work through lessons
- Solve meaty interaction design problems, especially around advanced interactivity like symbolic math entry and drag-and-drop code authoring
- Create a range of deliverables, from high-fidelity UI, icons, and prototypes to written process and documentation
- Work with product managers to influence overall product strategy and roadmap
- Work closely with other designers on the team to expand design systems that work beautifully across web and native mobile apps
- Uphold the quality of the Brilliant brand across every touchpoint with our audience
- Contribute to the culture of a small and growing design team
- Have 4+ years of relevant product design experience at consumer or SaaS product companies, ideally including work on platforms for content consumption (e.g. news, publishing, video, or gaming)
- Care deeply about creating useful, usable, and desirable products
- Have a portfolio of product features you’ve helped build from the ground up
- Are comfortable breaking down ambiguous problems into actionable and discrete projects
- Can prototype your ideas with high fidelity to test their feasibility, usability, and capacity to delight users
- Are jazzed to learn new topics in STEM (maybe you even studied STEM formally)
Please include in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A cover letter telling us why you're interested in Brilliant
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.