Principal Game Designer, User Motivation
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
Brilliant's mission is to inspire and develop people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We're looking for our first hybrid designer and producer to lead the development of the game-like motivation mechanics on Brilliant. We have world-class teams executing art, pedagogical design and story arc, product design, and engineering – but we're missing the right person to set the vision for the motivational structures. These motivation systems will be tightly woven throughout the learning experience, in order to support people on the difficult journey to achieving their goals in STEM.
While you won't be building a game per se, your experience and expertise in game design will be relied upon by your teammates and millions of earnest learners.
We want you to help us articulate and achieve this vision.
- Set, communicate, and execute vision for key user motivation mechanics at each level of the product and content
- Help problem solve motivational systems throughout entire creative cycle: ideation, specification, development, release, analysis, and iteration
- Work with pedagogy and user research experts to understand our audiences in depth
- Work closely with product designers and artists to ensure a coherent user experience and design systems throughout our product
- Work with engineers to develop motivation systems which are as simple as possible
- Digest quantitative analysis on features’ performance and proactively shut down or simplify features which aren't performing
- Be responsible for hitting the key performance indicators related to depth of engagement
- 8+ years experience on digital games teams – we can be flexible for experience in related fields like engineering, design, game producing, product management, etc. But professional game production or design is a requirement
- An excellent communicator across disciplines and an amiable teammate
- Experience developing and managing just the right amount of process to keep cross-functional teams coordinated but still as autonomous as possible
- Have at passion for at least some of our specific "problem spaces": education, supporting motivation through cognitively expensive tasks, math and science access and pedagogy
Desired, but not required:
- Experience designing with live ops in mind
- Strong feelings about end-game balancing
- Experience as a product manager on consumer (not business) facing products
- Experience with growing other designers in a mentorship or people management capacity
- Personal experience with Brilliant's product
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.