Lead Product Designer, User Motivation
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Design page.
About the role
We’re seeking a seasoned product designer to lead our efforts in user motivation, drawing inspiration from the worlds of game mechanics and storytelling to help learners feel accomplished and inspired as they achieve their goals in STEM.
Product design at Brilliant currently works across five domains: growth, learning experience, user motivation, authoring, and interactives. You'll have opportunities to collaborate with teammates from each of those domains.
As the lead designer responsible for user motivation, you'll be crafting delightful, surprising moments throughout the learning experience as well as developing the strategies to keep learners engaged long-term. This is a unique design opportunity for a designer to explore how playful interactions, rewards, and other interventions can support and inspire a learner. You’ll work with a diverse team of artists, animators and educators, and you’ll use data and user research to inform new ways to motivate users. Your work will help learners around the world understand topics from logic to vector calculus to neural networks in an inspiring and interactive way. The transition from passive to active learning online is still in its infancy: come build the future of interactive learning with us!
- Explore and imagine experiences that motivate and inspire learners
- Solve meaty interaction and system design problems
- Create a range of deliverables, from high-fidelity UI, icons, and prototypes to written process and documentation
- Work with product managers to influence overall product strategy and roadmap
- Collaborate with educators on how product design can best support learning
- Work closely with other designers on the team to expand design systems that work beautifully across web and native mobile apps
- Uphold the quality of the Brilliant brand across every touchpoint with our audience
- Contribute to the culture of a small and growing design team
- Have 4+ years of relevant product design experience, especially in gaming, learning, wellness, or other products with positive motivational loops
- Care deeply about creating useful, usable, and desirable products
- Have a portfolio of product features you’ve helped build from the ground up
- Are comfortable breaking down ambiguous problems into actionable and discrete projects
- Have deep expertise in one or more of the following: motion, sound, or game design
- Can prototype your ideas with high fidelity to test their feasibility, usability, and capacity to delight users
- Are jazzed to learn new topics in STEM (maybe you even studied STEM formally)
Please include in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A cover letter telling us why you're interested in Brilliant
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.