Director of Product, User Motivation
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
Brilliant is looking for an experienced Director of Product to lead the growth of our learner motivation systems and strategy.
You'll own learner motivation systems across our STEM learning courses and product. You will be responsible for the core engagement metrics that drive long term growth of the company and ultimately are the measure of the value that we're delivering to learners. You will work with and grow our world-class team of game designers, product designers, authors, artists, and engineers to make learning math and science joyous and paradigm-shifting.
We want you to help us articulate and achieve this vision.
- As a product leader, you will be responsible for the entire product cycle for features in your domain.
- You will build and bring our internal groups the product roadmap to meet the company-level objectives.
- Deeply understand pedagogy constraints and team capabilities to assess what strategies are possible to execute on what timeline
- Lead data analysis, user research, research methods, and experiment design for your domain, which includes setting simple proxy KPIs to organize the efforts of the rest of your team and related teams
- Understand which skillsets are missing around you and know how to hire world-class talent to fill them
- Have a strong point of view on how to run exploration, prototyping, shipping, and evaluating new features in a 'live game' like Brilliant – including guiding A/B testing strategy, timelines, etc.
- Develop a realistic (but ambitious) understanding of what can be accomplished through changes to learning material and experience vs. the "outer game loop" which cuts across courses on Brilliant
- Want to be responsible for unlocking substantial growth through your domain – this is a role for people who are excited by the business impact their work will have
- Possess the core product leadership skill sets including data analysis, writing, research, feature lifecycle management, etc.
- Possess an encyclopedic knowledge of game motivation systems, how they are applied, and when and why they are successful
- Have high proficiency with evaluating technical constraints and integrating them into your strategy
- Are confident communicating across disciplines to excite and motivate people to towards a shared vision
- Are comfortable with ruthless editing of scope and roadmaps in order to build momentum and remove features that don't work
- Enjoy working in small groups with experienced ICs – especially designers and tech leads
You should have
- 8 years of product management or similar experience with consumer-facing products, including games. Strong preference for mobile games or games with live component.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.