Lead Copywriter and Brand Storyteller
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles and check out our content and marketing positioning.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
About the role
We're seeking a dynamic storyteller to help us tell Brilliant's story to the world. As our first full-time copywriting hire, you'll be building the foundation for writing at Brilliant going forward. You'll guide our team's efforts in crafting brand campaigns, creative, and content, promoting Brilliant's approach to STEM education across our marketing channels. You will partner with user research to learn what's resonating with our audience and continually hone our message. You'll be a key member of a creative team of designers, illustrators, and motion designers, and you'll own and develop a style guide that defines the Brilliant voice and tone to help us scale our writing practice in the future.
Your passion for well-crafted, inspiring writing cuts through the noise with messaging that is aspirational, relatable, and fun. The ideal candidate for this role is self-motivated, willing to help out on any project, and is excited about collaborating with team members across disciplines.
In this role, you'll write to reach a variety of learners: from lifelong learners looking to stay sharp, to college students learning advanced math, to professionals transitioning into a new technical field. Over time, you will become an expert in our product experience and courses, and you'll build and maintain a library of creative materials that showcase the latest and greatest content experiences on Brilliant.
What you'll do:
- Create persuasive concepts and bring them to life through a deep understanding of the craft of copywriting
- Lead concepting and copywriting for campaigns across various marketing channels, collaborating closely with marketers, artists, and animators
- Contribute to UX-focused creative copywriting for the web, in email, and in our apps
- Work with user research and marketing teams to refine our message
- Execute against deadlines with cross-functional and agency partners
- Build and maintain a library of creative materials that showcase the latest and greatest content on Brilliant
- Establish, evolve, and evangelize the Brilliant brand's voice and tone guidelines
- Have 4+ years of in-house or agency copywriting experience
- Have a compelling portfolio of creative work, demonstrating your craft of writing, clarity, cultural relevance, wit, and warmth
- Have experience in a range of different forms of writing, like advertising, content marketing, brand, and UX writing
- Have a passion for storytelling and a unique creative vision
- Ask the right strategic questions that help align your team as you execute on creative briefs
- Have great time management and an ability to multitask under tight deadlines and prioritize with ease
- Have excellent organizational skills and an eye for detail
- Are thoughtful, clear, candid, and open to feedback and collaboration
- Are excited to learn new topics in STEM (and maybe have even studied STEM formally)
Please include in your application:
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A link to your online portfolio
- A cover letter telling us why you're interested in Brilliant
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Paid parental leave
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.