San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
Brilliant is looking for an Operations Manager to lead Brilliant’s complex and evolving business operations. You’ll get exposure to nearly all aspects of Brilliant, and be responsible for business, finance, and people operations.
You’ll be joining a small operations team within a well-functioning, tight-knit company of entrepreneurial-minded people. You’ll get to focus on solving problems to make a big impact, not playing politics.
This role reports to our Director of Operations, who will provide mentorship, training, and development as needed.
- Meticulous - your extreme attention to detail has likely annoyed someone by now
- Able to determine when something is “good enough”
- Energized by making others more efficient through process and automation
- Excited to grow your skills as a generalist, and own projects end-to-end
- Great at context-switching and prioritizing among a large workload
- Exceptional at rapidly absorbing context from those around you
- Not afraid to jump into any project - no matter how big or small
- Managing payroll, bookkeeping, and invoicing - with an eye for streamlining and automation
- Vendor evaluation, selection, onboarding, and management
- Monthly financials oversight, including expense categorization and reconciliation of cash flow vs. expenses
- Managing registrations and filings for tax (including global considerations), state business registrations, and insurance
- Navigating legal complexities of pursuing new markets or business verticals
- Benefits management, including identifying and rolling out new employee benefits
- Supporting Brilliant’s recruiting operations, including navigating immigration/visa issues
- Gathering operational data (team efficiency, impact of vacation policy, etc.)
- Assist in planning team events and coordinating remote employee visits, and oversee office improvements
- Facilitate quarterly reviews, surveys, and other ongoing people operations
- Special projects of any shape and size - the Operations team is on point for anything that doesn’t neatly fit into the rest of the company, including new business development initiatives
- 2-3+ years of experience in this role, or a similar role, in the past
- Proficiency with accounting principles and best practices
- Experience managing a diverse group of stakeholders and vendors
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Expert-level Excel/Google Sheets skills; deeper data or programming skills are a plus
- Eagerness to work in a fast-paced startup environment
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.