Senior Software Engineer - Fullstack
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Engineering Page.
We're always excited to welcome and encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position will be required to be considered.
We are a team of fun, motivated, and experienced entrepreneurs who are working to make a huge impact in education. As a Fullstack engineer on our team, you'll build the technology that enables an entirely new way of teaching STEM to a broad range of students. You’ll work closely with product managers, other engineers, and designers. In addition to building out new features, you’ll be looped in to planning and prioritization; helping to decide “what” to do in addition to “how.”
Interactive education is in its infancy; we have really only scratched the surface of what is possible with computer-based pedagogy. Our work helps people across Brilliant teach topics from vector calculus to neural networks in an interactive way. Come build the future of interactive learning with us!
- Work closely with passionate education experts on a suite of tools for expressing concepts in an interactive way – built primarily in Elm. These tools are essential to the future of Brilliant and under rapid development.
- Bring new features from conception to completion, contributing code across our entire stack (Django/Python, Vue.js/TypeScript + SCSS, Elm)
- Identifying technical debt and offering recommendations to improve the quality of the codebase.
- Understanding the impact of your work and maintaining a careful balance between velocity and code quality.
- Staying well-informed of new libraries and techniques, recognizing the difference between a game changing technology and a passing fad.
Who are you?
You feel great joy when problem solving (or perhaps after successfully solving a problem). You're able to break a problem down into its component parts, understand it completely, and brainstorm with others on multiple solutions – weighing solutions against each other within the constraints of the situation at hand. You can effectively translate a solution from thought to clean, idiomatic code.
Lastly, you're proud of how you solved a problem recently, and you're excited to tell us about it.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.