VP of Design
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Design page.
Brilliant is looking for a VP Design to extensively grow and improve the design team -- from its current 2 to around 8, within a year. The team you build will support the three distinct pillars of the business: learning experience, growth, and authoring tools. We are looking for a visionary product design leader who has a passion for building as well as empowering others. Your focus will be on hiring and supporting product designers, user researchers, and, eventually, design managers. Check out where we are at brilliant.org/design.
- Directly support across design functions across product design, brand design, and user research
- Assess and build upon established design systems and processes
- Partner with VP leaders in the other main domains (especially product, content, and marketing) to define business goals and roadmap
- Construct a hiring plan to meet the roadmap and execute on that plan with the support of Brilliant’s ops and recruiting team
- Directly manage design IC work as the team expands, pushing on depth and quality of work
- Build an inspiring and vivid design team culture
- 10+ years of experience in digital product design for web and mobile applications
- 4+ years experience in design management
- A diverse portfolio of products designed and shipped by you and teams you have managed
- Track record of identifying and retaining design talent
- In-depth knowledge of human-centered design methodologies, including user research, design sprints, and prototyping
- An appreciation for well-designed games and rich content experiences
- Experience articulating the role of data in product decisions
- Executive-level presentation and communication skills
- Nice to have: STEM interest and/or game design experience
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.