San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We're always excited to welcome and encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position will be required to be considered.
We are a team of fun, motivated, and experienced entrepreneurs who are working to make a huge impact in education. As a Fullstack engineer on our team, you'll build the technology that enables an entirely new way of teaching STEM to a broad range of students.
Product areas at Brilliant are organized into cross-disciplinary pods. You'll work extremely closely with a Product Manager, a Design Lead, and a team of engineers.
Interactive education is in its infancy; we have really only scratched the surface of what is possible with computer-based pedagogy. Our work helps people across Brilliant teach topics from vector calculus to neural networks in an interactive way. Come build the future of interactive learning with us!
- Alongside your Product Manager and Design Lead, shape the roadmap for your product area and execute on it.
- Facilitate outstanding technical decision-making on your pod.
- Be mindful of the “big picture” from both a technical perspective and a business one. Keep your pod on track in terms of "building the right thing" and "building the thing right”.
- Build a culture of excellence within your pod. Set high standards for candor and mutual accountability.
- Lead your pod in striking a careful balance between velocity and quality.
- Define and advocate for initiatives that will improve engineering velocity and quality of life.
- Bring new features from conception to completion, contributing code across our entire stack.
Who are you?
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience in software engineering. Leadership experience is also a plus.
- You have a track record of technical, strategic, and interpersonal excellence. You transition seamlessly from high-level planning to project coordination to hands-on implementation — all within a day's work.
- You're excited to collaborate closely with talented engineers. You enjoy solving problems as a team, pair-programming, and sharing knowledge. You want to be a mentor and to be mentored.
- You have deep experience with a few languages and frameworks, and you know what you do and do not like about them. You believe in using the right tool for the job — even when it’s an unfamiliar one. You stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, recognizing the differences between a game-changer and a passing fad.
- You enjoy thinking through problems at a high level and exploring possible solutions. You’re a talented systems-thinker who frequently asks “why”.
- You’re excited to build strong relationships with cross-functional partners. You’re constantly striving to be a better communicator. You believe that how we all work together will be the difference between building a great product and building a product that fundamentally changes how the world learns.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.