Finance and Accounting Manager
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
Brilliant is looking for a Finance and Accounting Manager to lead Brilliant’s critical accounting operations and play a key role in our strategic and evolving finance and business operations. You’ll be joining a small operations team within a well-functioning, tight-knit company of entrepreneurial-minded people. You’ll get exposure to nearly all aspects of Brilliant and be able to focus on solving problems to make a big impact.
This role reports to our Director of Operations, who will provide mentorship, training, and development as needed.
- Lead all accounting operations, including billing, AP/invoicing, payments, and revenue recognition - with an eye for streamlining and automation
- Own the monthly financial reporting and reconciliation process, ensuring delivery of accurate and timely results by working closely with our external accountant
- Prepare for, support, and manage annual tax filings, 409A valuations and financial audits
- Manage local, state, federal and international (as applicable) tax and regulatory registrations and filings. Design, establish and maintain scalable internal systems and financial controls to ensure continued compliance as we grow
- Be responsible for external vendor evaluation, selection, onboarding, and management
- Identify opportunities to improve financial and business processes. Scope and manage projects that support the growth and scaling of our business
- Navigate legal and financial complexities of pursuing new markets or business verticals
- Contribute to budgeting / forecasting processes and other special financial and accounting projects as necessary
- Develop and maintain relevant company-wide procedures, policies and documentation to ensure clarity in business operations
- 4+ years of related experience, with audit/assurance experience at a Big 4 accounting firm as a plus
- Solid US GAAP accounting knowledge and best practices
- Expert-level Excel/Google Sheets skills; deeper data or programming skills are a plus
- Extremely detail-oriented with the highest standards for accuracy and precision
- Highly organized - great at context-switching and prioritizing among a large workload
- Comfortable owning projects end-to-end and learning new domains
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building out processes and workflows that enable sustainable scaling of the business
- Highly self-motivated and eager to work cross functionally in a fast-paced and fast-growing environment
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.