Director of Product Management
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
Brilliant is looking for our first Director of Product Management.
You will be responsible for the hiring, growth, and management of product managers. You'll be accountable for the day-to-day operational excellence of the Product organization – how efficiently, consistently, and smoothly we can execute our roadmaps and seize opportunities as they arise. You'll be responsible for understanding, delegating, and occasionally executing strategic initiatives which are not being directly handled by the VP of Product.
- Ensure that all product managers you manage are motivated, aligned, and productive. Some of the domains that your reports will be managing: Web Platform and Infrastructure (Skylar), Growth (Tara), Authoring Experience (Rob), among others. We expect to add domains of a similar scale over the next 18 months, including Marketplace.
- Attract and recruit talented product managers to fill new roles as they are created
- Create product alignment across the company through feature roadmaps and tightly run sync meetings
- Monitor the quality of project management practices and devise plans to raise the bar each quarter
- Continuously evaluate our level of investment in key "product ops" matters: QA and bug triage, integration of data into feature prioritization, backlog grooming, UX research, etc. – and execute improvements
- Identify and own under-defined but important strategic initiatives that don't fit cleanly into existing product pods
- Want to be responsible for unlocking substantial growth through your domain – this is a role for people who are excited by the business impact their work will have
- Have a clear idea of how quality product managers operate, how to grow product managers, and how to nurture shared purpose across a group of product managers
- Excel when communicating across disciplines to excite and motivate people to a shared end
- Strong command of the core skills of IC product managers – product analysis, data analysis and synthesis, roadmapping and scoping, leading creative problem solving processes, communicating in technical and creative contexts, etc.
- Are comfortable with ruthless editing of scope and roadmaps in order to build momentum and remove features that don't work
- Enjoy the work of growing confident, high-throughput decision makers, even in a field that has long feedback loops
You should have
- 8+ years of product management or similar experience with consumer-facing products
- 2+ years managing people, with a strong preference for product management
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.