Lead Product Designer, Authoring
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Design page.
About the role
We’re seeking a seasoned product designer to lead our efforts in authoring, helping internal and external teams of authors, editors, educators, artists, and creative technologists develop STEM learning content for the Brilliant platform.
Product design at Brilliant currently works across five domains: growth, learning experience, user motivation, authoring, and interactives. You'll have opportunities to collaborate with teammates from each of those domains.
As the lead designer responsible for authoring, you'll become an expert in the goals, requirements, and pain points of content creators on Brilliant. You'll enable workflows for content development, review, feedback, and publishing. You'll have an opportunity to reimagine how Brilliant's powerful suite of authoring tools work and fit together, everything from designing an interactive diagram in a single lesson to developing a new course from the ground up. This is a unique design opportunity for a designer with a special interest in how constraints, scaffolding, and guard rails in creator tools can help unlock creativity.
You’ll work with a diverse team of artists, animators, and educators. Your work will help learners around the world understand topics from logic to vector calculus to neural networks in an inspiring and interactive way. The transition from passive to active learning online is still in its infancy: come build the future of interactive learning with us!
- Explore, imagine, and design experiences for the Brilliant authoring platform
- Collaborate with educators to understand their needs when authoring STEM courses on Brilliant
- Solve meaty interaction and system design problems
- Create a range of deliverables, from high-fidelity UI, icons, and prototypes to written process and documentation
- Work with product managers to influence overall product strategy and roadmap
- Work closely with other designers on the team to expand design systems that work across authoring and learning product areas
- Uphold the quality of the Brilliant brand across every touchpoint with our audience
- Contribute to the culture of a small and growing design team
- Have 4+ years of relevant product design experience, especially in complex workflows or content creation tools
- Care deeply about creating useful, usable, and desirable products
- Have a portfolio of product features you’ve helped build from the ground up
- Are comfortable breaking down ambiguous problems into actionable and discrete projects
- Can prototype your ideas with high fidelity to test their feasibility, usability, and capacity to delight users
- Are jazzed to learn new topics in STEM (maybe you even studied STEM formally)
Please include in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A cover letter telling us why you're interested in Brilliant
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.