Director of Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Engineering page.
About engineering at Brilliant
To enable immersive, cross-platform interactive STEM learning, Brilliant has developed an authoring engine that allows instructors to easily build up interactive problem solving experiences using modular components. Our engineering team is composed of talented and driven problem-solvers. We never stop learning, we teach one another, and we take immense pride in our work. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are (when necessary) ready to write custom software that goes beyond what is possible with off-the-shelf software packages and libraries, and pushes the boundaries of what web and mobile technologies can do.
Who are you?
You feel great joy when solving problems (or perhaps after successfully solving one). You are able to break a problem down into its component parts, understand it completely, and brainstorm with others on multiple solutions – weighing solutions against each other within the constraints of the system. You can effectively translate a solution from thought to clean, idiomatic code. You can also reason about the architecture of high-level systems, and have an intuitive grasp of how they work. You can plan strategically to achieve very large goals that may take years for a team to execute.
In addition to that, you are a great communicator, and an inspiring leader. Engineers feel comfortable coming to you with career goals as well as day-to-day concerns. You are eminently respected by engineers and motivate them to produce work of the highest standard, and your own pursuit of excellence sets an example for team culture. You are able to give timely and constructive feedback that helps individuals fulfill their personal goals, and the goals of the company.
About the role
- Manage a team of excellent engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Maintain a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies Brilliant’s values
- Understand engineers’ long-term career goals and provide mentorship on how to work towards them
- Conduct 1-1s and performance reviews
- Organize team off-sites and training
- Help with engineers’ concerns and issues that arise during implementation, and provide necessary context to enable them to consider all trade-offs when making decisions
- Collaborate with Brilliant’s recruiting team to recruit great engineers
- Understand all engineering domains at the company, and their interconnections, at a high level
- Synthesize the medium-term roadmap and priorities for the team, and work with dependencies across the company
- Coordinate between engineering and other teams to avoid conflicts and ensure efficient scheduling
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work
- Keep track of tech debt, and ensure that regular pay-downs are accommodated in the schedule
- Be the first point of contact for triaging engineering issues
- Be a sounding board for implementation challenges – supplying information and know-how, and imparting a sense of the preferred method of handling things
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 6+ years of overall software development experience, including 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Strong technical background and hands-on experience in solving large scale technical problems
- Works very well cross-functionally, and is able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- Able to maintain a warm, inclusive environment that cares for colleagues and treats them exceptionally well
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.