Lead Product Designer
San Francisco, CA
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We’re looking for a lead product designer to own the Learning Experience on Brilliant. You will work closely with educators, product team, and engineering to lead a user-centric design process for the development of new courses. You will also iterate on the system that enables learners to discover what’s possible, accomplish goals, and become inspired to expand their knowledge in new directions. We’re looking for a unique full-stack designer who can pair design process acumen with an excitement for collaborating with visual creatives in the production of immersive experiences. This role will also help lead Brilliant’s design team as it expands this year.
- Be the voice of global STEM learners. Lead research initiatives that help us identify key user needs and define strategy for content and product roadmaps.
- Build rich end-to-end experiences that help guide new users through our funnel, from acquisition and onboarding to solving their first problem inside an interactive course.
- Build delightful systems that motivate users to set and achieve goals.
- Work with a creative team to expand and define the “World of Brilliant” and our new illustration language, Pix.
- Support the development of a new conversational, interactive learning UI.
- Extend features across our web and native iOS and Android apps.
- Contribute to our growing design and illustration system and be a standards-bearer for quality and consistency across the product.
- Mentor and lead creatives working across illustration, interactives, marketing, and research.
Who are you?
- Have 5-8+ years of product and/or communication design experience at a consumer product company or agency.
- Carry deep understanding for how qualitative research and data inform product and design decisions.
- Have a portfolio of compelling, end-to-end visual and interactive solutions to user problems, spanning web and mobile.
- Are an influential strategic thinker, able to lead cross-functional teams in blue-sky thinking and the iterative design process.
- Comfortable assigning, concepting and art directing illustrations and animations.Have exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Have existing or emergent passion for storytelling, new media, and/or interactive games.
- Are genuinely curious about at least one of: math, logic, science, nature and the laws that shape our universe.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.