Senior Manager, Creative Technology
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
As a creative manager on Content team, you will work closely with leadership on product, engineering, and design teams to continue to define and grow Brilliant’s use of interactivity and visual storytelling in our portfolio of interactive courses.
You will also manage a team of Creative Technologists and provide them with clarity of purpose and direction. Your team will be responsible for building the tools we use to create interaction-first courses in math, science, and CS. Along the way you will balance creating a culture of exploring in a greenfield technical area with delivering high-quality content.
This could be a good fit for a design manager or for an engineering manager interested in a non-traditional role – if in doubt please apply! This role reports directly to the VP of Content.
In this high-impact role, you will:
- Combine creative and technical expertise to support your team in delivering great work and in growing, both as creative technologists and professionals.
- Build a culture that attracts the world's most talented technical artists and engineers, and recruit them into it.
- Identify the skills on the team then make sound first-principles decisions around resourcing, while making the rationale clear to stake-holders and team members.
- Partner with educators on the content team to ensure a focus on pedagogical needs and user experience throughout the content-development process.
- Collaborate with the broader product and interactives teams to maintain a cohesive and consistent learning experience.
- Have 5+ years professional experience working on an engineering or creative team, including at least 2+ years in a leadership role.
- Experience working in a matrixed product organization, closely-coupled with designers and producers.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, consumer-oriented environment.
- Love tackling challenges out of your comfort zone. The majority of the work will be math and science focused, so enthusiasm for the material and general problem solving aptitude will help you go far in making an impact.
- Are a strong systems thinker, and have experience implementing a visual system across various media types, such as digital products, social media, or brand/marketing.
- Energized by making others more efficient through process and automation.
- Are hungry to learn and grow, and have the work ethic to follow through on your ambitions.
- Have a dose of pragmatism, and are comfortable weighing ideal solutions against the realities of a live product.
- Experience with hands-on frontend development (especially with Elm) a huge plus.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Paid parental leave
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.