Senior User Researcher
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Design page.
About the role
We’re seeking our first full-time user research hire. As a senior user researcher, you'll play a key role in establishing the user research function at Brilliant and building the foundation for research going forward.
You'll conduct a variety of research: generative research to uncover new opportunities for current and future Brilliant users, evaluative research to test the usability of new features, and iterative research to identify improvements to our existing products. You'll engage with a passionate base of active learners on Brilliant and work to understand how we can do more to support their learning goals in STEM. Your research will support the product and design teams at Brilliant, who currently work across five domains: growth, learning experience, user motivation, authoring, and interactives.
- Lead critical research efforts to deepen our understanding of users and drive product strategy
- Own the user research process from end to end: from planning and recruiting to analyzing results and delivering insights
- Perform usability assessments on current products to identify where we can remove friction and delight users
- Communicate insights and evangelize the voice of the user across the company
- Consult with and coach product and design team members to improve how they conduct user research
- Contribute to the culture of a small and growing design and research team
- Have 4+ years of experience conducting user research at a consumer or SaaS product company
- Have applied experience using a variety of research methods – including qualitative interviews, surveys, field research, diary studies, and usability evaluation – and know how and when to apply them throughout the product development process
- Have shown you can influence business and product decisions based on research
- Have an interest in helping to build out and grow the user research function over time
- Are a clear and concise communicator as well as a compelling and persuasive storyteller
- Are jazzed to learn new topics in STEM (maybe you even studied STEM formally)
Please include in your application:
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A link to your online portfolio
- A cover letter telling us why you're interested in Brilliant
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.