People Operations Coordinator
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 12 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
Our culture and our people are the core of Brilliant. As the People Operations Coordinator, you will have a meaningful impact, supporting all people at Brilliant to succeed in their roles by coordinating and organizing critical people programs.
This role reports directly to the Head of People, Leslie, and will work closely with our Senior People Operations Manager, Kyrene. Our team is spread out all over the world and many of the programs you will support have a digital-first focus so everyone can participate. But with our headquarters in San Francisco and office management being one of the main focus areas for this position, this role would be based onsite daily in SF.
With a broad scope of responsibilities, this role is great if you:
- Can multitask like no other
- Have a mindset where you are always looking for ways to make things more efficient or enjoyable
- Your focus on detail borders perfectionism
This role will offer you an opportunity to support more strategic programs while also getting very into the details in the physical space/world that makes people's lives easier and more joyful. You will be able to think in terms of the big picture while also being very hands-on with roll-up-your-sleeves work in your day-to-day!
People Operations Coordination - Support People Programs:
- Support employee lifecycle administration from onboarding, status changes, and off-boarding, including maintaining data integrity of our People data between systems and between employee detail changes, including our HRIS (Gusto), org chart, and various other internal People tools
- Support the administration of our quarterly performance and bi-annual engagement cycles
- Lead employee activity programs to promote the work culture, including onsite and virtual events to support employee engagement and fun :)
- Organize and manage recognition programs, such as anniversary and birthday gifting programs
- Assist in new state setup and tax accountability
- Maintain federal and state required compliance postings in the office
- Travel and meeting coordination for the executive team
- Additional support for executive team members that can lean into assisting with personal scheduling and travel booking
- Some support for the recruiting team with scheduling and hosting candidates
Office Management – Lead the day-to-day experience for our in-office employees:
- Serve as the go-to person for all office needs
- Manage all existing office vendor relationships (catering, building management, janitorial, AV, and more), and source new vendors
- Own our overall office “look and feel” by keeping office space tidy and organized, and kitchen and supplies fully stocked
- Own event planning for our SF office by planning our weekly happy hours, monthly team events, annual holiday party, and more
- Assist with an upcoming office move (or office improvements if we stay in our current space) — planned for July 2023
- Proactively anticipate ways to improve the office experience
Onboarding – Own the new hire onboarding experience:
- Responsible for the end-to-end onboarding and pre-onboarding process, including serving as the main point of contact, both internally and externally, to new hires and managers
- Schedule onboarding activities, including our monthly orientation programming, preparing first-day schedules, new hire lunches, and lots more that we do to make our new hires feel welcome and set up for success
- Order equipment for new hires, as part of our new hire home office support program
- Manage licenses and new hire account provisioning for company-wide tools
- Manage swag for new employees and events
- We use a systematic compensation framework. Salary scales are set each year for each job vertical, based on market data and company budget. Independently, managers level folks on their team, and those levels are mapped formulaically to our compensation scales.
- Additional, we always make First and Best Offers - there is no negotiation (for new hires nor our existing teammates). This ensures that people are paid based on their expected contribution, rather than their negotiation skills.
- In San Francisco the range for this role across the most likely levels for relevant candidates is $75-105k.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Paid parental leave
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.