Senior Interactives Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We welcome and encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
In a nutshell, you'll be responsible for building the tools we use to create interaction-first courses in math, science, and CS. We believe that interactive visualizations have the potential to change how people learn math and science. You will be reporting to the Lead PM for Interactives – but make no mistake, this is a highly cross-functional role. To get the a sense of the interactive aids that we build, check these quizzes out (make sure to click through each frame of the quiz).
- Working with course writers to develop prototypes that both fit the pedagogical needs and test our hypotheses on the role of interactive visualization in learning.
- Implementing interactive visualizations that run across all of the Brilliant platforms (web, mobile web, and native webviews).
- Developing tooling to support your own productivity and content team members' ability to produce variants of live interactive visualizations.
- Identifying technical debt and taking steps to improve the quality of the interactives codebase.
Who are you?
Going further, you've had to teach yourself at least one difficult topic, and you viscerally understand the difficulty of working with existing texts or online resources.
Finally, you're an excellent communicator with both engineers and domain experts in unfamiliar areas – you're going to be helping to teach subjects that you sometimes don't understand, after all!
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.