Principal Software Engineer - Frontend
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Engineering page.
We are a team of fun, motivated, and experienced product and engineering entrepreneurs who are working to make an actual and meaningful impact in the world. As a Frontend engineer on our team, you'll write TypeScript, Elm, and Django templates. As a senior member of the client team, you'll be helping people across Brilliant teach topics from the basics of arrays to vector calculus in an interactive way.
- Building the frontend for new features using Vue.js, TypeScript, and SCSS -- writing clean code and making smart design decisions, all with minimal guidance.
- Work closely with passionate education experts to grow a suite of tools for expressing concepts in an interactive way – built primarily in Elm. These tools are essential to the future of Brilliant and under rapid development.
- Refactoring and converting legacy features built with Django templates, JS/ES6, and Less. We're actively working to replace all of our legacy code, so this type of work will gradually decrease.
- Identifying technical debt and offering recommendations on improving the quality of the frontend codebase.
- Staying well-informed of new technologies as they come up in the ever-evolving frontend world, and recognizing the difference between a game changing technology and a passing fad.
Who are you?
You feel great joy when problem solving (or perhaps after successfully solving a problem). You're able to break a problem down into its component parts, understand it completely, and brainstorm with others on multiple solutions – weighing solutions against each other within the constraints of the situation at hand. You can effectively translate a solution from thought to clean, idiomatic code.
You've worked professionally for at least eight years as a Frontend Engineer. You have seen frontend technologies come and go, but you understand the fundamental principles behind them, and have an instinct for choosing the tech built on foundations solid enough to stand the test of time. You have architected and led the development of frontend systems with significant complexity and scale, and have overcome novel technical challenges that you are proud to describe to us. You have an intimate understanding of how the frontend domain is supported by other layers of the stack, and have enough familiarity with those layers to dive in and fix problems yourself. You put serious effort and thought into engineering team culture, mentorship of other engineers, and team leadership.
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.