CTO and Chief Architect
San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Engineering page.
About engineering at Brilliant
To enable immersive, cross-platform interactive STEM learning, Brilliant has developed an authoring engine that allows instructors to easily build up interactive problem solving experiences using modular components.
Our engineering team is composed of talented and driven problem-solvers. We never stop learning, we teach one another, and we take immense pride in our work. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are (when necessary) ready to write custom software that goes beyond what is possible with off-the-shelf software packages and libraries, and pushes the boundaries of what web and mobile technologies can do.
We are looking for a Chief Architect to succeed our former leader, who we tragically lost in the Conception boat fire. The Chief Architect will lead our technical decision making, give engineers the context and confidence to make correct technical decisions, and maintain the team culture of excellence.
- Lead a team of excellent engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact.
- Maintain a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies Brilliant’s values.
- Help craft technical strategy for Brilliant’s systems, libraries, and frameworks.
- Lead key architecture decisions for Brilliant’s platform for creating interactive content, including working closely with engineers on the developer platform that allows 3rd parties to securely plug in their own learning interactives.
- Work closely with leaders across the company to identify and align on priorities, set direction for the team, and drive towards a unified product vision.
- Anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning.
- Coordinate the engineering team to build infrastructure at the right level of abstraction.
- Drive the medium-term roadmap and priorities for your team, and work with dependencies across the company.
- Dive into problems and document, drive alignment, and drive plans.
- Support the team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work.
- Be a sounding board for implementation challenges – supplying information and know-how, and imparting a sense of the preferred method of handling things.
- Collaborate with engineering managers and Brilliant’s recruiting team to recruit great engineers.
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 6+ years of overall software development experience, including 2+ years of engineering management experience in a fast-paced startup environment, ideally creating scaled, consumer-facing websites and/or apps
- Strong technical background and hands-on experience in solving large scale and difficult technical problems
- Enjoys learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of infrastructure
- Specific deep experience working on cross-platform products at scale
- Understands APIs; even better if experienced in developing flexible, performant, and stable API endpoints to 3rd party developers
- Works very well cross-functionally, and is able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- Able to maintain a warm, inclusive environment that cares for colleagues and treats them exceptionally well
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.