Senior Product Designer, Interactive Systems
San Francisco, CA
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We’re looking for an interactive product designer to help systematize and elevate Brilliant’s interactive experiences. The role will work with our team of educators, interactive engineers, and illustrators to refine existing interactives and build new ones. We’re looking for an expert in visual UI systems, prototyping, and motion design who is game to immerse themselves in STEM topics. You’ll leverage the talents of other designers, illustrators, and animators to set the standard for everything interactive on Brilliant.
- Audit our collection of interactive learning experiences for quality, consistency, and efficiency.
- Apply user insights to evaluate and improve the design system of the conversational and narrative UI underpinning all of our courses.
- Solve gnarly interaction problems across screen sizes.
- Own the full-stack interaction design process—from brainstorming to prototyping to the creation of detailed specs.
- Collaborate with illustrators to faithfully extend the “World of Brilliant” and our new illustration language, Pix, to each interactive.
- Identify the UX commonalities across interactives. Create UI standards and templates that scale across different courses.
- Coordinate play testing efforts.
- As your content affinity grows, become a strong presence in the ideation and concepting of completely new interactives and narrative flows, translating even the most complicated scientific scripts into an in-depth visual language.
Who are you?
- Have 5+ years in product or UI systems design for visually-rich experiences at a consumer product company, gaming company, or agency.
- Have a track record of delivering creative solutions and shipping gorgeous, emotionally resonant experiences.
- Can expertly craft novel interactions from a blank canvas, using tools like Framer, Origami, or code to create functional prototypes.
- Are a great collaborator to engineering, able to make smart tradeoffs between feature richness and speed of implementation.
- Have a talent for assigning, concepting and art directing illustrations and animations.
- Are equally comfortable editing together narrative concepts as you are exploring complex motion and visual effects in user interfaces.
- Carry a deep understanding for how qualitative research and data inform product and design decisions.
- Have passion for storytelling, new media, and/or interactive games.
- Are genuinely curious about at least one of: math, logic, science, nature and the laws that shape our universe.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.