San Francisco, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Engineering Page.
We're always excited to welcome and encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position will be required to be considered.
We are a team of fun, motivated, and experienced entrepreneurs who are working to make a huge impact in education. As an Engineering Manager, you will shepherd our team as we build the technology that enables an entirely new way of teaching STEM to a broad range of students.
You’ll work closely with other Engineering Managers, VP Engineering, and engineers to nurture our engineering processes, culture, and team. You will be a mentor to all members of the team, but especially to your direct reports, with whom you will practice true servant leadership and empathetic management.
Interactive education is in its infancy; we have really only scratched the surface of what is possible with computer-based pedagogy. Our work helps people across Brilliant teach topics from vector calculus to neural networks in an interactive way. Come build the future of interactive learning with us!
- Mentor a group of talented and motivated engineers
- Advise on and implement changes to our engineering processes and culture
- Aid strategic technical decision making
- Set an excellent example to the engineering team in all things, from decision making to work-life balance
- Gain trust through context sharing and clear communication
Who are you?
- You greatly enjoy working on both organisational and technical problems
- You've worked professionally for at least one year as an Engineering Manager, and at least 5 years as a Software Engineer
- You are comfortable switching contexts between languages, frameworks and paradigms
- You love the impact you can have by fostering talent
- You have been part of teams which have shipped major engineering projects
- You have a personal understanding of “what good looks like” in engineering
Our Engineering Team
Our engineers are extraordinary programmers without big egos. We love to share knowledge and support each other. We work together as an interdependent team to accomplish a common goal, and we know how to get things done. We maintain high personal standards, and possess an ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.