Strategy and Business Operations Manager
San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 12 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
We encourage anyone from non-traditional backgrounds to apply, so please, don't sweat the requirements lists too much! It's important to note that including a cover letter which details your interest in Brilliant and why you feel you'd be a great fit for this position is required to be considered.
As a Strategy and Business Operations Manager at Brilliant, you will play a key role in shaping Brilliant’s strategic direction, drive cross-functional initiatives and evaluate new market opportunities. You will act as a close partner to the management team and functional leaders, providing strategic perspectives, analytical insights, and operational expertise to solve critical business problems and unlock growth opportunities.
In this role, you could be spending a week working with the Recruiting team on identifying operational pain points and establishing processes and systems to unlock efficiencies; or you might be digging deep into the education credentialing space for a month, conducting market research, scoping the potential opportunity, and proposing actionable recommendations to the leadership team for decision; or you could dedicate a quarter to developing Brilliant’s localization strategy and collaborating with Content, Product and Marketing teams on launching initial pilots in target markets.
As one of the first members of the Strategy and Operations team, you will be instrumental in defining the future of the function as well as its impact on the company and the learners Brilliant serves.
- Performing competitive research and business analyses to drive major strategic decisions for the company
- Scoping and evaluating new business opportunities, developing data-driven insights and recommendations to support the decision-making and prioritization of new business areas
- Defining and executing high-impact, cross-functional operational and strategic initiatives, taking them from 0 to 1
- Collaborating with functional leaders across the company to set strategic priorities and actionable plans, measure progress against objectives, and evaluate results and ROIs
- Designing scalable systems and improving operational processes to support Brilliant’s growth while ensuring the highest quality of execution
- 4+ years of experience in a strategy, business operations, or a cross-functional operational role at a fast-growing company and/or experience at a management consulting firm
- Strong business acumen with ability to approach complex business problems in a structured way and drive towards insights quickly
- Outstanding research, analysis, written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical abilities and expert-level proficiency with Excel, Powerpoint, and/or SQL
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and a strong sense of ownership
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, flexible, and outcomes-oriented environment and prioritize and juggle multiple projects
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong working relationships with different stakeholders
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s inspiring and developing people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• 401(k) plan (non-matching)
• Paid parental leave
• Free lunch in the office
• Weekly happy hour (virtual for now!)
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.