San Francisco/Remote, CA /
Full-time / Part-time contract
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 9 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page and Design page.
As a Production Illustrator, you’ll spearhead the development of a rich asset library of characters, objects, and scenes in the world of Brilliant, in our PIX style. You’ll take concept art and translate and componentize it into reusable assets. These will feature prominently in our web and mobile products, and in our social media and marketing campaigns, to deliver fun and interactive learning experiences to millions of learners.
This is a highly cross-functional, collaborative role. As a member of our Art + Design team, you’ll be working with other talented artists, designers, and subject matter experts in math and science to create custom artwork on a small team.
- Take a large range of 2D artwork in concept sketches to production-ready vector assets in Brilliant’s illustration style.
- Visualize environments, characters, objects, and color schemes to create a growing library of reusable artwork and templates in a componentized system.
- Communicate with other members of art, content, design, and marketing to ensure efficient and accurate implementation.
- Ensure illustrations meet both production deadlines and technical specifications.
- Actively test and iterate art assets based on feedback
- Keep working files well-organized to facilitate collaborative work.
- 3+ years work experience in game, animation, or illustration-relevant field.
- Extensive illustration portfolio that demonstrates an advanced understanding of form, value, perspective, and composition, and shows a great sense of color.
- Experience illustrating under brand constraints.
- Strong ability to apply overarching visual concepts in illustration systems.
- Ideally has experience working with, or building, structured asset library frameworks and illustration development pipelines for production.
- Mastery of software tools including the following (or similar): Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Skilled in file organization and time management.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment.
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
• Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
• Free lunch
• Weekly happy hour
• Flexible vacation time
• Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
• Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
• A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world
Our CCPA Privacy Notice can be found here.