Director of Strategy
Brooklyn United is a cultural impact digital agency. We create results-driven digital products and platforms to shape our shared future. Our work spans products, applications, and websites.
The Director of Strategy (DoS) leads the studio’s awareness, understanding, and application of user-centered research and brings a deep understanding of the intersection of user needs and business objectives to both our client-facing and internally-owned digital products. The DoS assembles, manages, and educates the strategy team, dictates scope and processes for research, testing, and analytics work, and educates the studio on emerging and established best practices and innovation.
While the DoS role is a leadership position, all discipline leads at Brooklyn United are expected to engage project execution and delivery to ensure skills stay current and mentorship comes from the perspective of actual practice. The DoS reports to the CEO, and works in close collaboration with the Director of Design, Director of Client Service, and Director of Technology to accelerate evolution in our approach and to drive innovation in our work.
- Manage resource allocation for Strategy team
- Build, oversee, and support a growing team of strategists, providing training and guidance through monthly check-ins and delivery-level oversight and collaboration
- Craft and codify strategic processes including tools, frameworks, and methods
- Track and document strategy innovation and advances in user research methods to produce thought leadership for our clients, team, and industry.
- Support new business efforts with proposal reviews, resourcing estimates, and collaborative pitch conceptualization
- Regularly share Strategy team work with broader studio
- Develop and drive strategic considerations for existing and potential clients; determine appropriate digital channels and actions for delivering on business needs for clients and internal agency products
- Perform detailed evaluation of business environment including stakeholder interviews, customer needs, capabilities, content audits, comparative and competitive audits, feature lists, target goals, and trend analyses to identify unique market opportunities and threats
- Ensure integrity of project briefs, as well as client-facing and internal briefing process
- Define and deepen internal and client team understanding of user needs via focus groups, moderated and unmoderated testing, surveys, flows, journeys, and personas
- Produce site/application maps and information architecture through content audits, analytics reviews, and goals articulation
- Lead brainstorming of insight-driven strategies
- Structure and present recommendations to client leadership for approval, advise on active and anticipated client engagements for missed opportunities
- Oversee client-facing post-mortems
- Provide strong editorial point of view for copywriting
- Collaborate closely with Design and Technology teams throughout engagements to ensure fidelity to user and business goals
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- 6 years of experience required, including proven ability to manage a team
- Digital product and/or agency experience; particularly Agile and Lean methodologies
- Understands the difference between observation, trend, and insight
- Extensive knowledge of the digital landscape required
- Compelling presence in conversation, presentation, and in the written form
- Fearless in challenging common UX patterns and barriers to help create new engaging experiences and interactions across new media
- A great partner and mentor to team members at all points in their career arc
- Collaborative-first approach: shine in group work
- Whip-smart, unapologetically objective
- Self-driven work ethic
- Experience with multiple Content Management Systems preferred
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Please provide a range with your initial application.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter. You must have authorization to work in the United States, and live in the greater New York City area or be willing to move here. Brooklyn United is an equal opportunity employer. We look forward to hearing from you!