Lead Web Developer
Brooklyn United is a cultural impact digital agency. We create results-driven interactive products and platforms to help our clients shape our shared future.
We’re also a growing agency looking for fresh perspectives and developers looking to move us and our client work forward. Developers at Brooklyn United work in close collaboration with our Strategy, Design, and Client Service teams to bring our work to life.
Our new Lead Developer is an emerging leader in technology and brings a genuine passion for code that balances innovation and practicality. They are equally at home mentoring junior developers on best practices or wrangling complex technical challenges. They contribute views on emerging and established tech standards, provide scope estimates for team members, and – above all – produce clean, efficient work that can be easily maintained and scaled over time, and used as an example to teach best practices to junior team members.
The Lead Developer reports directly to the CEO to coordinate their work across web and mobile products and platforms.
- Lead the development of client and internal projects, either as the sole developer or as the lead developer in a team
- Be adaptable and innovative, finding creative ways to meet client goals while maintaining timelines and budgets
- Scope projects effectively, detailing time and resource requirements necessary to complete work
- Adapt agency processes and practices per client/engagement
- Employ the best tools for the job on a project-by-project basis
- Motivate and direct tech junior developers
- Embody and communicate agency values
- Impart best practices and new learnings to junior staff
- Stay current on trends and innovations in technology
- Track latest frameworks and design patterns in web technologies
- Share learnings with peers and agency leadership
- At least 5 years experience in an agency or on a product
- Experience leading junior staff, being a source of knowledge and a mentor, and leading the development of complex projects from start to finish
- Experience with build tools such as Webpack, and how to properly deploy different code to different build targets (development, staging, and production)
- Total understanding of GIT and GIT based deployment.
- A strong grasp of PHP, ability to work with PHP content management systems, namely Craft
- Experience setting up Linux server stacks on a cloud service such as AWS or Digital Ocean
- Understanding of database technologies: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, with and without an ORM
- Proven record of developing successful interactive design work, contributing at all phases including IA, UX, and UIAble to make decisions – including prioritizing workflow and resource allocation, divining optimal technical solutions, balancing innovation and responsibility, and overcoming obstacles – with minimal supervision
- Enthusiasm for genuine collaboration with an incredibly smart, talented team
- Experience writing servers and command line utilities in Node.js
- Experience with Drupal
- Experience with PHP frameworks like Laravel and Yii
- Experience working with React Native
- Some experience writing mobile native applications for iOS in Objective-C or Swift
- Understanding of computer science principles, basic algorithms, Big O notation
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter. You must have authorization to work in the United States, and live in the greater New York City area or be willing to move here. Brooklyn United is an equal opportunity employer. We look forward to hearing from you!