Data Engineer, Runner Performance Lab
US, Washington, Seattle, Corporate
Research and Development
Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
We are looking for a passionate Data Engineer on the Run Research team to help us build and create the future of the run. From optimizing performance to assessing injury risk to improving the experience on the run, you’ll help design & build the components, frameworks and libraries to support and scale our analytics programs that will enable our teams to create amazing products and elevate experiences for our runners. In this role, you will work cross functionally, collaborating with the research teams, our product assessment teams and our product creation teams to develop data & analytics capabilities that will allow us to leverage data to inform how we help runners achieve their path to a better self. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection. The right candidate is excited and passionate about optimizing the Run Research Lab’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture for the Run Research Lab
- Lead and drive the re-structuring of the current data architecture, development and implementation of new data management projects & capabilities, data applications and data cleansing.
- Collaborate with appropriate data owners and key stakeholders including Research, Assessment, Run Sights and Product Creation to identify and map data from the source environment to the target data environment
- Clean, prepare and optimize data at scale for ingestion and consumption including interfaces between Brooks and third-party systems to enable real time data consumption and preparation for analysis
- Identify data quality gaps and work with data owners to develop solutions and close gaps. Participate in on-going service delivery, including documentation and ownership of relevant change control requests (including evaluation, test, implementation, and verification).
- Write code or use specialized development tools to create product features, enhance and/or customize software components
- Anticipate, identify and solve issues concerning data management in the Lab to improve data quality.
- Troubleshoot data issues and perform root cause analysis to proactively resolve product and operational issues
- Build continuous integration, test-driven development and production deployment frameworks. Drive collaborative reviews of design, code, test plans and data set implementation in support of maintaining data engineering standards. Test developed programs and integration of data from various sources.
- Liaise with enterprise data teams to ensure that development adheres to organizational architecture guidelines.
- Participate in key architectural and technical decisions as they apply to the Run Research Lab
- Coordinate and conduct application testing (new support packages, releases, functionality and customizing) in close cooperation with the technology team.
- Engage system owners to filter, size and prioritize business requests and drive towards appropriate decision points.
- Establish consistent technical architecture & contribute to development policies, standards and conventions
- Maintain expert knowledge of development tools, technologies and related delivery methods.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics or applicable engineering fields with a focus in biomechanics and a research environment a plus.
- 3+ years’ experience with data management tools and industry standard relational database systems preferably in the lab based setting.
- An expert in database technologies (SQL, Big Data frameworks (Hadoop, Spark), advanced data modelling, cloud platforms (AWS, Azure) as well as real-time (Kafka) and batch data integration frameworks
- Significant experience in writing programs to analyze biomechanical data is strongly preferred (matlab, visual 3D, Labview, ATL, Python, Jave, C/C++)
- Advanced knowledge and experience in use of biomechanics systems for analyzing running/walking gait (3D mocap systems (Motion Analysis, Vicon, Qualysis), Visual 3D, plantar pressure systems (Novel)
- Experience in algorithms, especially in the field of AI and machine learning
- Experienced in Agile/ Scrum methodologies and collaboration with cross functional teams
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Ability to work cross functionally in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Curious and open minded; always open for a challenge, inventive, creative. Ability to challenge the status quo – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
- Unwavering demonstration of Brooks’ corporate values: Serve People, Lead Thought, Compete as a Team, Have Integrity, Be Active, Have Fun!
- A passion for the running enthusiast and active lifestyle
- Travel 5% of the time
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, the presence of a sensory, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military status, marital status, pregnancy or child birth, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, political ideology, or any other non-merit based factors.