Human Performance Lab Intern
US, Washington, Seattle, Corporate
Research and Development
Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
The Human Performance Lab Intern will gain hands-on experience in product research from the leading running brand - Brooks Running. The primary responsibilities of the Lab Intern will be to assist in data collection and processing for the Research Team. The protocols will include but not be limited to biomechanical, mechanical, and metabolic testing. The Lab Intern will also gain knowledge on how the lab influences and impacts the design and development of running shoes and apparel.
· Analyze mechanical and biomechanical data in Matlab and Visual 3D and prepare scientific reports based on findings.
· Assist Biomechanists in the collection and processing of human subject data.
· Perform mechanical testing on plaque materials and shoes.
· Use machine shop to create various prototypes and lab equipment.
· Become familiar with running shoe design features and components.
· Develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
· Become comfortable with in the use of various instruments to collect mechanical, biomechanical and metabolic data.
· Other duties as assigned.
- Current college (undergraduate or graduate) student or within one year of graduation working on degree in kinesiology, physiology, bioengineering, biomechanical or mechanical engineering.
- College experience in a biomechanics lab or a lab that involved data collection on human subjects.
- Experience working with 3D Motion Capture equipment.
- Software skills with Matlab and Visual 3D ideal.
- Experience collecting physiological data using a metabolic cart, collection EMG data, and using machine shop equipment a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking to improve products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
- Maximum commitment of 6 months.
- Must be available to work at least 30 hours per week (distribuiton of hours must be fairly consistent and comprise of no less than 4 hour blocks).
- Must be able to work from the Brooks Corporate Headquarters location in Seattle, WA. an 4 hour blocks).
Brooks Sports, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and our policy is to maintain employment practices that conform to the intent and letter of the laws regarding equal employment opportunity. Brooks is committed to affording equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual preference, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws or regulations. This commitment applies to all phases of the recruitment process including hiring, selection, promotions, transfers, demotions, compensation, benefits, or training. Brooks will endeavor to make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities, unless doing so would result in an undue business hardship or a direct threat to the health or safety of any individual.