Technical Footwear Product Developer
US, Washington, Seattle, Corporate
Footwear Product Development
Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Serve People, Lead Thought, Play As a Team, Compete Every Day, Demonstrate Integrity, Have Fun and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
Utilizing advanced, technical product and process knowledge you will work with a cross-functional product creation team from the collection of insights through commercialization to deliver technical running footwear that exceed consumer expectations. Hands-on experience and knowledge of the total footwear construction process including; outsole/midsole drawing, pattern engineering, material construction and properties, and costing is required for your success in this role. Other critical responsibilities include understanding manufacturing capabilities, anticipating issues, problem solving, and timely resolution. Your ideas around engineering principles that enhance product performance, product value, and your ability to communicate them across the product teams is a must for this role.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Oversee and manage multiple projects from Insights gathering to Brief Stage, through Design, Development, Costing, and into Commercialization
- Plan and execute project development according to the seasonal critical dates that lead to on–time delivery of sales samples and production confirmation
- Partner with and influence vendors and factories in the manufacturing process with the ability to manipulate the process in order to advance and achieve new manufacturing techniques which enhance the overall performance of product
- Partner with and guide design and development personnel to ensure that designs are manufacturable and meet cost and quality objectives of the organization
- Critique, adjust and evaluate technical blueprints (outsole/ midsole/ upper), upper patterns and materials from a performance, manufacturing, and functional perspective
- Participate in Asia development trips, 3 - 4 per year, to work with manufacturers and suppliers on existing and current development projects
- Recommend and specify to product team the material, component and construction options to meet pricing targets and product’s functional goals, as well as assure product performance integrity through product testing (physical and field testing
- Initiate and lead meetings with product teams during various phases of development to review, evaluate, update and ultimately drive the decision making process that leads to on–time production confirmation and margin goals
- Collaborate with our Research, Design and Development, Marketing and Costing teams and Color Designers in order to show sample materials that meet the criteria for the category based on material performance data.
- Create and build a knowledge base and stay informed about vendor capabilities and performance, factory relationships, quality issues, materials pricing and lead times.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Design, Biomechanics or other applicable technical degrees.
- 3 - 7 successful years’ of experience leading the development of high performance, technical running footwear projects
- Expertise in technical running footwear product development, process, project management, costing and manufacturing of product from conception to retail.
- Proven ability to lead and influence in a collaborative, cross-functional group without command/ control to meet strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop highly productive relationships with individuals and teams that are made up of diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds resulting in effective working relationships across the company
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an advanced ability to communicate new ideas, concepts and functional expertise within project teams and to external stakeholders.
- Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks (self and through others), while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our partners, our products or other departments’ operations and/or morale; “connecting the dots.”
- Curious and open minded; always open for a challenge, inventive, creative. With the ability to challenge the status quo – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
- Strong computer skills including experience with Illustrator, MS Office software.
- Proven ability to lead and influence in collaborative, team oriented and complex global environments.
- Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
Brooks Sports, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and our policy is to maintain employment practices that conform to the intent and letter of the laws regarding equal employment opportunity. Brooks is committed to affording equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual preference, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws or regulations. This commitment applies to all phases of the recruitment process including hiring, selection, promotions, transfers, demotions, compensation, benefits, or training. Brooks will endeavor to make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities, unless doing so would result in an undue business hardship or a direct threat to the health or safety of any individual.