Designer II, Inline Footwear Design
US, Washington, Seattle /
Footwear Design /
Full Time - Seattle Hybrid
Who We Are:
At Brooks, we believe a run can change a day, a life, the world. Everyone who works here is a key part of our obsession to make the best running gear on the planet. We want our business — which also happens to be our passion — to be a place where everyone feels welcome and comfortable being themselves. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together, and drives our success. We live this culture daily through our brand values: Runner First, Word is Bond, Champion Heart, There is no “I” in Run, and Keep Moving. This means we always solve for the runner, do what we say we will, give it our all, are generous with our humanity, and find a way to keep moving every day, because joy is kinetic.
Are you ready to help create something extraordinary?
As a Brooks Running Designer, Inline Footwear Design, you will create the AESTHETIC READINESS of Brooks Running footwear inline product. You will produce an executional DESIGN balance between most progressive and most acceptable design solutions as part of a seasonal collection of Brooks Running footwear product.
As a Designer, Inline Footwear Design, you will use the creative foundation CRAFTED BEAUTY in order to create compelling footwear product designs. By applying the creative foundation, you will elevate the level of our CRAFTED BEAUTY foundation as a design reference of Brooks Running inline product while maintaining brand direction and appropriate aesthetic appeal for a targeted consumer.
As a Designer, Inline Footwear Design, you will work in close cooperation with the Color – Material & Trend Design Team on the creation of our Seasonal Beauty. You will execute the implementation of our emotional story-telling of color, graphic, material, finishes and trend as part of the footwear pre-development design process and the inline design process.
As a Designer, Inline Footwear Design, you will work on selective projects in close partnership with the Advanced Design Team on the application of our advanced team design language FUTURE BEAUTY.
As a Designer, Inline Footwear Design, your role will be integral to provide clear communication to the Product Line Management Team, the Product Development Team, the Color & Trend team, and the Product Assessment Team. With your growing experience in designing footwear, you will play a core role within the footwear design team to ensure that Brooks is the most LOVED brand for runners worldwide.
- Apply identity principles to maximize perceived value in order to drive superior aesthetic competitiveness.
- Create and present upper, midsole, and outsole sketches for in-line product based on direction provided by CRAFTED BEAUTY briefs.
- Collaborate with with Advanced Design team, influencing Pre-season projects and design concepts.
- Provide design solutions based on the creative foundation of CRAFTED BEAUTY concerning 2D/3D creations with story, color, material, and finishes to grow the appeal of Brooks Running footwear.
- Participate in Pre-season concept development to shape and inform templates for CRAFTED BEAUTY for the sequential in-line season. Organize and deliver product design presentations; both physical and digital including exploratory process to reach final solution.
- Respond to design critique with multiple design solutions.
- CROSS TEAM COLLABORATION
- Partner within a product creation team to deliver industry leading products and stories.
- Partner with the Advanced Design Team to ensure a constant flow of information; Collaborate on Pre-season projects.
- Provide feedback and guidance to Associate Designers; Seek out mentorship from more tenured Designers.
- Work closely with the 3D CAD Design Team to ensure a constant flow of information.
- Work closely with the Color - Material & Trend Design Team to integrate seasonal color and trend concepts.
- Interact closely with various footwear team experts in Product Color & Trend, Product Materials, Product Development, Product Line Management and Product Assessment; Utilize their reporting's to inform our design approach.
- Work closely with the development teams in Asia and our oversea production sites.
- Maintain calendar/timelines/deadlines that result in a timely completion of each project.
- Use your design knowledge to partner with your product teams.
- Shape and form templates for CRAFTED BEAUTY and SEASONAL BEAUTY in partnership with senior design staff. _____
- Answer critique with a curious mindset – propose alternative options after more design exploration.
- Have a strong understanding of the design jet stream to keep informed on what’s trending and how this may influence our design.
- Knowledge of prototyping and ability to use hand made models to demonstrate proof of ideas.
- Conduct visits to our factories and material suppliers to gain insights and continue to grow a high level of understanding of the footwear manufacturing process.
- Travel as necessary to Asia, Europe, trade shows, races, retailers, or other external events.
- 4 year college or university degree in industrial, graphics, apparel or footwear design, equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for degree
- 3+ years of experience creating color/material/textile programs and future vision in a retail/manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of art and design with clear understanding of visual design or any design related environment
- Proven experience creating and leading the execution of vision and strategy
- Ability to understand design concepts and think conceptually
- Ability to understand design conceptually across product categories
- Ability to create designs that meet category needs and commercial opportunities
- Ability to operate in a fast pace, ever changing work environment
- Ability to build and foster relationships in a team environment. This position requires employee to engage with many stakeholders, as well as manage various information and relationships
- Ability and desire to push themselves, others, and the brand forward.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with key business partners
- Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks (self and through others), while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help out wherever necessary.
- Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
- Mastery with Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- Competent using Apple Mac Operating system
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.)
- 3D not required, but a plus
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
- Travel 10% (Domestically/Internationally)
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, the presence of a sensory, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military status, marital status, pregnancy or child birth, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, political ideology, or any other non-merit based factors.