Head of Technical Operations
San Francisco, California
At Built Robotics, we are making construction safer, faster and more productive. Our team is assembling robotic upgrade kits and developing software to automate heavy equipment. It hasn’t been easy—in fact, no one has ever done what we’re doing—but with over $150 billion in heavy equipment services performed in the US each year, we believe we’re on to something.
You’ll have a foundational role in charting this growth and bringing innovation to one of the world’s most critical industries. Join us!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Head of Technical Operations, you'll lead projects at the intersection of engineering and business functions. You’ll work closely with our engineering team to select and vet our sensors and other components at our facility and in the field. In addition, you’ll develop a systematic process for assembling and testing both our hardware and our software on actual robots in our testing yard. Finally, you’ll be responsible for vendor relationships, negotiations and supply chain management.
As Built continues to expand, you’ll build a team to scale kit assembly and QA. And, as in any fast-growing startup, you may pick up additional responsibilities related to your work, including IP strategy, technical partnerships, regulatory compliance, and technical product management.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Select and vet hardware components
- Run and test our robots at our facility and in the field
- Develop a systematic, documented approach for kit assembly
- Maintain close coordination with our engineering team
- According to company needs, hire a team to execute kit assembly and QA
- Lead continuous quality process improvements
- Identify potential compliance and regulatory issues and resolve them quickly
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends, standards and methodologies
- Lead all sourcing and manufacturing efforts to bring Built’s retrofit kit to market
- Manage cost reduction of sourced components and vendor negotiation
- BS in a technical field or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience in technical project management or similar
- Excellent hands-on technical ability, including prototype design and fabrication, soldering, metalworking and woodworking
- Very strong communications skills, especially regarding technical topics and decisions
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Adaptability and flexibility to work in new situations, pick up new skills, and do what it takes to get the job done
- Ability to drive trucks, operate heavy equipment, and lift 60 lbs
- Experience in the autonomous vehicle industry a plus
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance — for you, your spouse and children
- Flexible PTO
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
- In-office gym
- Opportunity to work on an 80,000-pound autonomous robot
- A pair of steel-toe boots