Robotics Hardware Engineer
San Francisco, California /
WHO WE ARE
Built Robotics’ mission is to build the robots that build the world. By upgrading off-the-shelf heavy equipment with AI guidance systems, Built’s technology enables machines to operate fully autonomously. Built’s robots are deployed today across the $1 trillion earthmoving industry, and they’re being used to build critical infrastructure such as solar and wind farms, pipelines, and data centers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Robotics Hardware Engineer, you’ll get to re-imagine and design hardware for our fleet of autonomous heavy construction equipment. You’ll have a broad responsibility for scaling our hardware systems and testing for reliability in the field.
Our robots are subject to harsh conditions — hot summer days, cold and rainy winters, high vibrations, shock, and dust. You’ll get to tackle these challenges head on, by sourcing new sensors for these rugged conditions and configuring them on the robots for optimal outcome. You’ll leverage your experience in mechanical and electrical design to increase reliability and longevity of our equipment by analyzing vibration and shock data, designing mounts with sound dynamic and vibrations engineering principles, and design setups for life cycle testing.
You’ll create robust and replicable processes to streamline manufacturing of our AI guidance systems, and perform installations on equipment across the United States and Australia. You’ll develop best practices for managing a fleet of hardware systems and will work closely with our Software and Field Operations Engineers to debug, troubleshoot and resolve complex hardware issues in the field.
- BS, MS, or PhD in mechanical engineering or related field
- 2+ years of experience using a CAD software design package (e.g. Solidworks, Onshape, ProE, NX, or CATIA)
- 2+ years of experience in electrical design
- Familiarity with Python, Linux and ROS is a plus
- Excellent hands-on technical ability, including prototype design and fabrication, soldering, metalworking and woodworking
- Adaptability and flexibility to work in new situations, pick up new skills, and do what it takes to get the job done
- Willingness to travel to job sites 1-2 times per month, according to the needs of the business
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance — for you, your spouse and children
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Paid holidays and flexible PTO
- TSA PreCheck
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
- Opportunity to work on an 80,000-pound autonomous robot
- A pair of steel-toe boots