Lead Backend Engineer- Technical Lead
Engineering – Payment Engineering Team /
BukuWarung is SEA’s fastest growing startup and we are building the digital infrastructure for 60 million MSMEs in Indonesia, enabling them to efficiently manage and grow their business, starting with digital bookkeeping, online storefront & payments. BukuWarung’s vision is to empower 60 million MSMEs in Indonesia to become financially aware and enable them to manage and grow their business using technology.
BukuWarung is backed by top tier VCs globally: Peter Thiel’s Valar Ventures, Goodwater Capital, Y-Combinator, AC Ventures, Quona Capital, East Ventures, Golden Gate Ventures, Rocketship.vc, Tanglin Venture Partners and strategic angel investors from Stripe, PayPal, Plaid, Grab, Gojek, Facebook, AirBnB, Fast, Mastercard etc.
- Discuss and design the High Level and low-level architecture of the payment system.
- Solve the current challenges faced in payments and ensure that there is no downtime.
- Mentor and grow a team of 3-5 mid-level and junior engineers and be responsible for their delivery.
- Coordinate with Product managers to understand the requirements to decide on the timelines and phases of development.
- Lead the team with closely working with the tech team on the requirements, help to design / review the solution and help in work distribution.
- Set up the right processes for the team to function properly.
- Involved in coding and code reviews for the modules and services making sure we follow industry wide standard best practices to ensure our systems are designed well to go into production.
- Involved in various architectural discussions across teams to support proper integrations.
- Writing various high quality technical documentation of the system being developed for team members.
- Guide the team to achieve high engineering and operational excellence.
- Minimum 7 years of hands-on experience in software development.
- Minimum 4 years experience in coding in Java along with other related frameworks(like spring, hibernate, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years of experience in team management which includes mentoring a small team(of at least 3-4 people) and delivering high-quality systems quickly and efficiently.
- Demonstrated leadership and strong ownership skills.
- Strong software development fundamentals (Data structures, Algorithms, problem-solving, OOdesign, and systems architecture).
- Good knowledge of relational databases like PostgreSQL, MySQL as well as no-SQL.
- Understanding of large and complex distributed systems and being able to design the right architecture using modern tools like Kafka, elastic-search, DynamoDB, etc.
- Experience in keeping the uptime, and building resilient and reliable systems along with strong emphasis on Quality
- Understanding of challenges faced in developing a payment system along with finding the right approach to the problem.
- Strong knowledge of multithreading, asynchronous systems, and memory management.
- Familiarity with CI/CD concepts and DevOps tools (Jenkins, Dockers, etc.)
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science.
- Prior experience of the FinTech systems or payment domain knowledge is preferred.
If this sounds like you, please apply!