Head of People
Hi, We’re Bulb. Nice to meet you. We’re working remotely to protect our team at the moment, but we are still hiring. So if you’re looking for a new role and you’re happy to take part in a remote interview, read on…
We are the UK's biggest green energy supplier, providing affordable, renewable energy to homes and businesses across the UK. Our mission is to help people lower their energy bills and reduce their carbon impact at the same time.
Founded in 2015, we were named the UK’s fastest growing private company in 2018 and 2019, and in February 2021 we were named Europe's fastest growing company by the Financial Times.
Over 1.7 million UK households have signed up to renewable energy with Bulb and we’ve expanded into Texas, France and Spain. We’re an accredited Living Wage Employer; we’ve been picked as one of LinkedIn’s top 25 UK tech startups to work for; and we’re a certified B Corp.
The role and team
The Head of People will be essential to this transition through building diverse teams that can deliver at scale, establishing an innovative and agile culture of high performance, and developing a pool of exceptional managers. They will also be responsible for in setting up local People operations in our new markets.
This is a brilliant opportunity for a growth-oriented Head of People with experience of scaling businesses internationally and fostering high performance cultures in multidisciplinary teams. You’ll get to work with great team members, solve complex problems and directly impact our ability to achieve our mission of lowering our members’ bills and their carbon emissions.The role is based in London and reports into our Chief People Officer.
You will be responsible for:
* Managing a high performing People team in the UK and building out our People teams in new markets as they scale
* Building and maintaining an employer brand that attracts the very best talent into Bulb across all of our markets
* Partnering with senior leaders and managers across Bulb to foster a culture of high performance and build lean, effective teams
* Developing an exceptional employee experience that means the best people stay at Bulb to develop their careers
* Contributing to a People strategy that helps the business achieve its objectives and establishes Bulb as a best place to work in our market
* Developing a programme of management training that makes a direct impact on Bulb’s performance and raises the capability of our senior team
* Ensuring diversity & inclusion is at the heart of everything we do, you will be working with our D&I Champions to ensure Bulb is successfully executing our D&I initiatives
What you'll bring to Bulb:
* Track record of success in fast-paced, high growth and product-led businesses with an international reach and a diverse team
* Experience building strong, collaborative relationships with Senior Management that improve the impact of their teams in an agile, data-led culture
* Demonstrable experience of designing and delivering successful change programmes focused on team performance, manager capability and operational effectiveness
* Excellent problem solving, commercial and analytical skills to understand the complex needs of our business and implement simple solutions at scale
* Exceptional communication skills encompassing challenging conversations, coaching managers and and communicating initiatives across teams
* Impeccable judgment to identify and address employee and structural issues before they impact Bulb’s performance
* Experience designing learning & development interventions with measurable impact on managers
* Practical experience across key People priorities: talent, performance, compensation and benefits, org design, org development, communications and engagement
Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
Cycle to work scheme
One month sabbatical leave after your first year
We’re building a diverse, inclusive team
You’re welcome at Bulb wherever you’re from and whoever you are. We want to shake up the energy industry, and a diverse team that reflects our members will help us do just that. We know that sometimes, people don’t apply for a job because they don’t have every single skill listed in the job’s requirements. But there’s more to every role – and everyone at Bulb – than we can fit in a job description. So if you’re interested in a role here and believe you could be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Even if you’re not ready now, if you're invited to interview with us you’ll get feedback on the skills you should grow to become a candidate in the future. We’ve written more about building a diverse team on the Bulb blog.