Finance Data Analyst (UK)
Hi, We’re Bulb. Nice to meet you. We’re working remotely to protect our team at the moment, but we are still hiring. So if you’re looking for a new role and you’re happy to take part in a remote interview, read on…
We are the UK's biggest green energy supplier, providing affordable, renewable energy to homes and businesses across the UK. Our mission is to help people lower their energy bills and reduce their carbon impact at the same time.
Founded in 2015, we were named the UK’s fastest growing private company in 2018 and 2019, and in February 2021 we were named Europe's fastest growing company by the Financial Times.
Over 1.7 million UK households have signed up to renewable energy with Bulb and we’ve expanded into Texas, France and Spain. We’re an accredited Living Wage Employer; we’ve been picked as one of LinkedIn’s top 25 UK tech startups to work for; and we’re a certified B Corp.
The role and team
This is an exciting opportunity for a Finance Data Analyst to join Bulb's growing Finance Planning & Analysis team, at the strategic heart of one of Europe’s fastest growing companies.
At Bulb, FP&A is not just budgeting and reporting, it's also strategy. We are looking for an analyst who can help us build accurate data definitions and reporting, but also questions what we should be building and why. We need someone who can communicate with stakeholders around the business to diagnose problems, then use their analytical skills to solve them.
You don't need to have loads of experience, but you must have loads of potential. This is a great opportunity for a smart, motivated person to turbocharge their career. We are a non-hierarchical environment - if you want to make something happen, the floor is yours. Plus you’ll have regular exposure to the leadership team from Day 1.
* Build Bulb UK’s financial reporting
* Build Bulb UK’s margin forecasting and analysis in the data warehouse and Looker
* Set UK segmentation definitions; build and maintain core tables in Looker for whole company to use
* Contribute to Bulb’s pricing strategy by providing relevant data inputs and insights
* Do ad hoc strategy analysis to drive business decisions
* Set finance data definitions and ensure one source of truth
* Own UK bad debt / aged debt forecasting
* Own UK monthly financial reporting for items that are reported from the data warehouse including revenue, usage, bad debt, referral credits and others
* Support wholesale team demand forecasting Coordinate with Platform team to prioritise requirements and scope Bulb’s cost warehouses
* Strong SQL modelling - able to manipulate, analyse and model large volumes of data with a high level of accuracy, including creating views and definitions that become the source of truth for fundamental management information
* Ability to present data and do basic analysis in Excel
* Smart, strategic thinker who is great at solving problems (not just ones that involve numbers!)Great communication skills and confident working with stakeholders across the business including management
* Able to prioritise a long list of requests into a work plan and manage expectations accordingly
* Team player: you see your work as part of the team’s overall plan, and within that you’re happy either driving your own project or supporting team members with theirs
* Ownership mentality: don't just execute what's asked of you, but question whether we've asked you the right question or if it could be done a better way
* Can-do attitude: Bulb is a fast-paced environment and sometimes stressful, you need to be resilient and calm under pressure
Some extra skills that would be great
* Experience with any of Python, R, Looker, Tableau, Mode, Alteryx, Netsuite
* Experience working in energy, utilities, or a tech startup
Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
Cycle to work scheme
One month sabbatical leave after your first year
We’re building a diverse, inclusive team
You’re welcome at Bulb wherever you’re from and whoever you are. We want to shake up the energy industry, and a diverse team that reflects our members will help us do just that. We know that sometimes, people don’t apply for a job because they don’t have every single skill listed in the job’s requirements. But there’s more to every role – and everyone at Bulb – than we can fit in a job description. So if you’re interested in a role here and believe you could be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Even if you’re not ready now, if you're invited to interview with us you’ll get feedback on the skills you should grow to become a candidate in the future. We’ve written more about building a diverse team on the Bulb blog.