Software Engineering Manager
Bulb is an energy management company and a Tech company. Our mission is to reduce bills and lower carbon emissions. Over 1.7 million people in the UK are now Bulb members, and we recently launched in France, Spain and the US (Texas). We're also a certified B Corporation. People, planet and profit are our priorities, that's why we believe the best way to deliver our mission and to have an impact is to be an effective and competitive organisation.
We're looking for Engineering Managers to support our Engineers, drive technical initiatives and help us grow into a world class Engineering organisation. Engineering Managers at Bulb don’t write code or make technical decisions. They act, however, as a facilitator for those decisions. Their focus is on delivering mission impacting projects by building highly motivated and performing teams.
You'll manage Engineers within pods, driving high individual performance, and assisting them in their personal and professional development.
You’ll spend your time:
Working with pods to:
• Line manage engineers in one or two pods (roughly 6-10 engineers). This will involve career conversations, regular feedback and helping individuals track their personal development
• Help teams reach high performance and deliver on their mission metrics
• Supporting Product Managers to achieve impactful delivery
Working with the Engineering Management team to:
• Help the engineering team achieve continuous progress on tech debt, defects and operational/security improvements
• Hire and onboard great engineering talent from diverse backgrounds
• Drive engineering initiatives and contributing to best practices
• Experience with driving through improvements to up-skill the engineering team or help the team deliver more effectively
• Experience with mentoring and coaching engineers
• You’re a great communicator and have empathetic first approach
• You’re data driven, but you know when to follow your intuition to move fast
• You’re technology agnostic, but have a strong Software Engineering background
• You have experience scaling and improving recruitment processes
Perks at Bulb
Life at Bulb comes with many perks. On top of being part of a friendly and dynamic environment, you’ll get:
• 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
• Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
• 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
• Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
• One month sabbatical leave after your first year
• Visa sponsorship and relocation allowance
We’re working remotely to protect our team during the coronavirus pandemic. This role is based in our London office, but we’re open to distributed working (with ad-hoc meetings in London once lockdown restrictions have eased.
We’re building a diverse, inclusive team
You’re welcome at Bulb wherever you’re from and whoever you are. We want to shake up the energy industry, and a diverse team that reflects our members will help us do just that. We know that sometimes, people don’t apply for a job because they don’t have every single skill listed in the job’s requirements. But there’s more to every role – and everyone at Bulb – than we can fit in a job description. So if you’re interested in a role here and believe you could be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Even if you’re not ready now, if you're invited to interview with us you’ll get feedback on the skills you should grow to become a candidate in the future. We’ve written more about building a diverse team on the Bulb blog.